Epilogue ~ "Ice Queen's dead"

Sasha

"Pencils down everyone!" I hear and finish the final sentence of my English test. I couldn't believe you could even get tested on English, it made no sense. I glance to Mel sitting at the desk next to me who shrugs with some laughter.

Junior year was of course much harder than I'd ever expected, too many things going on this year and concerns to have. But today I was thankful, it was the last day of school before winter break. No more school and Kate and Jonathan decided to scale back my practice over the break now I just got to relax and spend time with my friends and family. I look outside seeing snow coming down feverishly and I feel myself getting excited.

"Have a wonderful break students, I'll see you back in the new year!" My teacher calls as we pass our tests forward. 

I sigh, hearing the school bell ring and feel myself relax. The halls were like a zoo, full of cheering and other students rushing to get out the main doors.

"I can't believe that bitch!" Mel exclaims, linking her arm through mine. "It's the last day of school before winter break and she decides it's the perfect time for a unit test?"

"It's not the end of the world, I wish I'd read the book more closely." I mutter and she shakes her head.

"I can't believe you aren't more upset, it's your birthday Sash and you just spent part of it writing a test." She says and I laugh.

"Well now we're free!" I remind her, walking down the main stairs. "Let the partying begin."

"That's the spirit." She says and I laugh. "So how does it feel to be seventeen?"

"Pretty much like being sixteen." I tell her, furrowing my eyebrows and she laughs.

"Well don't worry this is going to be a day to remember." She assures me, as we reach the lobby and I laugh. I suddenly feel my heart beating faster as a pair of deep hazel eyes locks onto mine, Nate gives me a smile and I find myself rushing over to him.

"Hey birthday girl!" He exclaims, picking me up in a hug. "How was your test?"

"Completely un-festive for both birthdays and Christmas vacation." I inform him and he nods giving me a quick kiss. 

"Well I assume you're ready to head out to celebrate? It's below freezing." He whispers and I feel my smile reach my cheeks.

My friends had put together a quiet afternoon of skating on the pond behind my house as the beginning of my birthday celebration. Mel called it an homage to my figure skating life and I couldn't resist, I loved that little pond. I used to practice on it all the time and thanks to the early cold weather it was more than skate-able.

"Show them some tricks from an official Olympic athlete." Nate encourages and I laugh hitting his chest. 

My tryout had gone much better than expected, it seemed like the key to skating well really was having fun on the ice and being happy with yourself. After losing so badly, so many times last year I was almost afraid to put myself out there, I didn't feel worthy. But I pulled out any trick or combination I could think of and made a loaded program. Once I got the news I kept it to myself for a while knowing as soon as everyone else knew, it would spread like wildfire.

But of course everyone was thrilled, I got too many congratulations to count and I was set to jet-off for the Olympics next month. I had Nate and all of his support to thank for it.

"Ready to head out guys?" Mel asks and everyone follows her lead, out the main doors and to the student lot. Nate wraps his arm around my shoulders and I smile, leaning into his side.