Fragile Bonds

As another extermination has finished for the end of this year, Charlie finally has enough. Memories of past exterminations had haunted her mind. Blood and violence with the glowing masked smiles is enough to shake her very core. Born in this red world, Charlie has viewed the residence as her own people. She can't stand by anymore and let her own people being slaughtered by these winged creatures. 

With papers in her hands, it bears her a solution to help her people and solve their problem with too many sinners. Her idea was shared with her girlfriend. Charlie is glad to have her girlfriend's support, grateful to meet someone like her. Her heart beats wildly in her chest as she listen each step she took towards her destination - to her father's office. Charlie took a breath to ease her shaky hands then knocks on the door of the office. Charlie heard her father's voice calling her to enter. 

She opens the door to give a nervous smile. Her eyes made contact with her father who is sitting behind his desk. Charlie's eyes caught the sight of Belial standing in front of the desk. Charlie press her lips together, unnerved by the sight of the two out of three most powerful beings in Hell. "Charlotte, what brings you here?" Lucifer broke the silence. Charlie let out a small nervous laugh then approach Lucifer's desk. 

"Well...I...." Charlie had to take a breath to calm her nerves. "Charlotte, don't mutter. Stand up straight and tell me why you are here." Lucifer sighs. Belial decides to speak up, "Come on, Lucifer. Anyone would be nervous to be in front of you looking like that." Charlie silently appreciates her aunt intervening. Lucifer looks at Belial, shaking his head then relaxes his serious stand slightly.  

"I...I want to talk to you about the extermination, Father." Charlie finally spoke up, tighten her grip on her notes. This caught both of the fallen angel's attention. "I think we should find a different way of dealing with overpopulation in Hell." She continues, "An alternative way you can say." Taking a deep breath, Charlie reveals what they can do to solve this problem. 

"A humane way to change souls to a path of redemption. This project of mine will help them rehabilitate and guide them to a path of good! I know this will work, father! After all, inside every demon is a rainbow-"

SLAM!

Charlie lets out a yelp from Lucifer slamming his hands on his desk. He stood up straight, his eyes glow red. "Charlotte, I told you many times - let go of this childish dream of yours." Lucifer demands. Anger in his voice tells Charlie that he is not happy right now. "Why, father? I-I can't stand by and watch my people get slaughters by them!" Charlie shouts back, holding back her emotions. Lucifer's eyes glow red. 

"Ha...Ha! These people are sinners, Charlotte! They are sent to Hell for a reason! If anything, they are receiving their punishment from the exterminators." 

"What if they want to be redeemed after enduring everything here? I want to help those who wanted to go to Heaven-"

"Charlotte Magne, no more of this talk and focus on something that is worth your time." 

"This is important to me, father. I wanted this to happen-"

Another slam on the desk surface silence the emotional Charlie. Lucifer glares at his daughter with disappointment. How this come to be? His daughter - flesh and blood is a weak and emotional child. He must have coddled his daughter too long for her to act this way. Frankly, he could only feel deep disappointment. "One last chance, Charlottle. Forget this childish dream and I'll forget this conversation had ever happened." Lucifer gives his daughter one last chance - a chance to stop her becoming a disappointment. 

Belial listens to Charlie sniffle which made her hands curl up to fists at her sides. "No...I won't let my dream go. I know every demon has something good in them! I will prove it to you....just please....Believe in me." Charlie declares as tears rolls down her cheeks. Belial thought she was dreaming - a nightmare as Lucifer utter these words. 

"If you believe in this dream of yours, then leave." Lucifer points at the door. "What...?" Charlie could only utter. "I thought I raised a Magne, not a failure." He replies in a cold tone. Those words hurt Charlie in the deepest part of her soul. Still as a statue, tears rolls down Charlie's face. Belial had enough of Lucifer talking down his daughter. "Lucifer." She spoke up. Lucifer glares at Belial as she moves in front of his desk. 

"Oh, you want to talk now?"

"I didn't talk because I want Charlie to speak up to talk to you about her plan." 

"So, tell me Belial. Do you support this childish dream of hers?" 

"Lucifer, I will always believe in Charlie - no matter how small it is. As her father, you should too." 

"Don't make me laugh, Belial. Charlotte should focus on being the next ruler of Hell than this childish nonsense." 

Lucifer remains still as Belial drives her left fist against his desk. Wood crackles under her strength, cracks form under her fist. Charlie jumps in her spot from this sudden action. Tense silence made Charlie skittish. Mentally she hopes that nothing bad happens between the both of them since they are close for centuries as siblings. Throughout her life, Charlie has never seen both of them fight or argue one. This time is the first time that they ever fought. 

Belial pulls back her fist then slowly she reaches for something under buttoned shirt where her breast pocket is. Under her buttoned shirt is a white sleeveless top. Charlie hears a click as Belial put down something on Lucifer's desk. Belial pulls her hand back to reveal a gold pin that is shaped like a red apple. This is Belial's most treasured piece of her life. A piece of history that endured many centuries - hold stories of her life as a Magne. 

"Then, I can't be a Magne either since I am blind! So, I am worthless to the family!" Belial spoke about herself with a grin. Lucifer looks up at Belial. She turns her back to Lucifer to approach Charlie. Belial held Charlie's shoulder then move her towards the door. "...Lucifer...you are like the old fart when you talk like that." Belial said her final words to Lucifer then leaves the office with Charlie. 

Charlie looks up at her aunt with tearful eyes. "Aunt Bel...I..." Belial silence her words by wrapping her arms around her, pulling her close to her embrace. "Charlie, promise me this - Never give up on your goals. No matter what others said or do, never give up." Slowly, Charlie wraps her arms around Belial. "I promise, Aunt Bel." Her voice cracks from emotions weighing down her shoulders. She is grateful to have another person by her side, supporting her dreams. 

"Now, wipe those tears away and let's get going. We have no time to mope around - we got to pack up and leave this place." 

"Right!...Aunt Bel?"

"Yes, Pup?"

"...I...I don't think you are not worthless like you said. You are important to me, Aunt Bel."

"...Thank you, Pup..." 

+++