01:01 - RISING

"who died and put you in charge?"

- -

Fear gripped at her throat and slammed her into the floor of a grated metal box that was hurtling her to an unknown destination. Her throat convulsed as it tried to bring rise to bile that wasn't there. No matter how many breaths she attempted to force her lungs to breath in, it was no use, the fear did not dispel from her throat.

As she pressed herself firmly into a wall, it seemed that she was inside of a crate. She noticed that her body was heavier than what felt normal – this was explained by her clothes that were completely drenched and sticking to her muscular frame almost uncomfortably. They were dripping with water which suggested that she had only just been removed from the water only minutes or seconds earlier, she couldn't tell – time was distorting, and she couldn't figure out how long she had been rising. Is she rising, or is she falling? The girl is so dazed that she can't discern any details.

The blankness in her mind also numbed her, there was nothing there apart from concepts and names for things. She didn't have any memories of her own, she couldn't even grasp at her name. Panic started to claw up her throat again, it had retreated a little before and she had seen how slowly the crate was moving up the shaft truly but due to her panic it felt like the speed of light.

Something cold was pressing against her chest, her shaking fingers fumbled with the small object as she pulled it out of her bra. It was a small metal locket sealed inside of a small plastic bag, with a feeling in her stomach that she couldn't quite place, she flipped it open gently to see a picture of two children stood next to each other with twin grins on their faces. They were almost identical apart from the fact that one was a boy and the other a girl, plus the girl had darker skin than the boy. The greatest feature that they shared was a set of honey-coloured eyes which were both glittering with happiness.

Deep down in her gut, she felt that something was wrong, and this wasn't something that she was meant to have with her. So, she sealed it back into the bag and placed it back into her bra.

Whilst she inspected the locket, her nerves had calmed down, enough so that she noticed the very sudden acceleration of the crate towards the top of this shaft. Just as soon as it sped up, the box screeched to a halt. The girl stumbled back from where she had moved into the centre, she hissed as her back collided harshly with the wall and the metal dug into her back. Several deafening bangs and clatters sounded out around her, reverberating around her head with no memories inside.

The first words that she could ever remember saying were, "let me out!" She screamed into the abyss, the words forcing their way through her lips and the fear of being trapped in this box surrounded by half-light for the rest of her life overwhelmed her.

Almost as though something out there had heard her, a siren sounded from somewhere above her before being followed by a final resounding bang. The doors above her head split open and blinding light flooded into her honey eyes, this light was only alleviated by the shadow of a few figures blocking the light from her eyes. One of the shadows in particular jumped down into the box with her, it was a fairly short girl who had fair skin paired with brown hair curled tightly into ringlets. From the way that the other figures just let her do this without question, the girl pieced together that this was most likely the leader.