01:02 - RUNNING

"let me out! you're such shitty controllers i will tell you that!"- -

- -

Let it be known, Alice was generally a pretty patient person – not to the point of being a push over – but Emmy and one of the newer arrivals, Vera, shortened her patience significantly. Vera, a moderately short girl with short box braids, had stuck herself to Emmy like glue from the moment that she arrived. Alice got into a fair amount of conflict with the two, and she tried to avoid them quite a bit for fear of punching them.

The dislike towards Alice came to a head when Alice called a meeting one night, she leant against the table and faced them all, "I think it's time we go beyond the walls, it's been three months now and we've tried everything to get over them – time to go beyond."

An uproar of chatter started, some in support and some against it, Ada held her hand out to quiet them all down and Emmy's voice was the first to split through the voices, "you want us to risk our lives out there? With what we've heard out there at night?"

"They don't prowl during the day!" Alice reassured them all, it was true, there was only sounds from them during the dark of night – chilling screams. "They sent things up for running, why not do what they are basically telling us to do?"

More of the voices started to sound like agreement, Ada walked to the board that had all the jobs written down and wrote down 'Mappers.'

"Who are you going to force out there with you then?" Vera asked from where she was leaning against Emmy, face scrunched up in a look of disbelief.

Alice groaned internally, "I'm not going to force anyone, I am going out there on my own if need be, anyone who wants to come along is more than free to!" Some of the youngsters looked very afraid that maybe they would have to go, but relaxed when Alice said they wouldn't need to come, "I refuse to stay here for the rest of my life."

Kat was the first to stick her hand up, Alice grinned at her friend and fought to keep that grin on her face when she saw Emmy and Vera put their hands up too. Kat had to put her hand over her mouth to hide her smile at Alice's face.

Kitted up to the brim the next morning, the four girls took the first hesitant steps into the long corridor that may hold the key to their escape.

"It's a Maze." Vera muttered to herself as they walked around several turns, pulling out the string as they walked along – they were terrified of getting lost.

"A pretty fucking big one, at that." Kat spoke as they gazed up at the tall sandstone walls in wonder.

That first venture out changed everything.

Wall-crawlers appeared just after the doors closed, they were essentially huge metal beetles with gleaming red eyes. They gave a nasty shock when touched, which young Ola learned when she couldn't help her curiosity and had to reach out and touch it. It was unnerving, turning around to see one glaring it's beady eyes at you.