13. Cold to hot - M

⚫️ Z A N E ⚫️

There. I said my piece, now it was up to them to decide what to do with it.

I was in my room, a few hours after the meeting; Wren was sitting in the chair at my computer desk watching some silly cat videos on YouTube. His sweet giggles floating around me. I was painting a picture of the ocean. It was something that I did to calm my restless fingers. When they itched for what they really wanted, but I knew I shouldn't. It's been years since I last tried to cleanse myself that way, until Fox.

He brought with him so many emotions. I was messed up before him, I'm even more messed up after.

Since I've been back and Fox has been here, all I've been able to think about is that night at the institute. I am no longer able to dole out my own medication, that little privilege was taken away when I took one to many sleeping pills. Slept for 72 hours straight and was carted out of here on a stretcher that landed me in a mental institution for 9 weeks, and to what the others refer to as my 'accident'.

No, I won't make that mistake again. I vowed to get my shit together, and that's exactly what I'm doing. When I left here last night, my intention was to never return, book a flight to anywhere in the world and call that place my home.

But how could I leave Wren here without knowing where I am. Without even saying 'goodbye'. I could never do that to him. I would never do that to him.

And Fox, why was he sinking in to my skin and burrowing? Festering...asking questions he didn't truly want to know the answers to.

Wren didn't even know about my fucked up skin. I kept my shirt on, always. In the beginning he would try to take it off, but he knows now that my shirt stays on no matter what.

Fox said he wouldn't say anything to anybody about it. I trusted him. It was weird and made me uncomfortable, but there was something about the way he looked as me when he said it, made me believe him.

"We need to head down to dinner." Wren said while closing my laptop.

"OK, I'll meet you down there." I held up my fingers, wiggling them showing him that I needed to wash the blue paint off.

He kissed me lightly, lips barely bushing against mine.

"Mmhmm", he hummed. "See you down there soon." He glided across the room as I watched his perfect ass in his tight jeans and left. Leaving the door slightly ajar.

The acrylic was a bitch to get off. I had to take a combination of oil and rubbing alcohol and rub it in to loosen the paint up enough for it to wash off. The scent sticks to my skin even after I take a shower. Wren calls it my cologne. He says that he loves it because he always knows when I'm close by.

Stepping out of my bathroom, Bryce was leaning against the door frame to my room. Arms crossed, brows furrowed. His eyes scanning my room, searching.

"What's up, Bryce?" I tossed the hand towel I was using to dry my hands back into the bathroom, it half landed on the counter, then slid the rest of the way off.

He sucked his top teeth with his tongue, "Oh nothing, just wanted to check up on you."

"Check up on me?"

"You should really open a window in here, or do you like getting high off paint fumes? Is that your thing now?" He smirked.

I shook my head while walking over to the balcony doors and opening them, "No, I wouldn't say that." I grinned out into the night.

"What are you hiding?" He was directly behind me now, his breath skimmed my neck, goosebumps rose up in reaction.

"Not hiding anything."