Chapter 6: Zachary the Jerk

As I entered the cafeteria with Casimir I quickly spotted Zola and Sunita at our regular lunch spot. It was a table tucked in the far corner of the room, located next to a large display case that informed students about school events or non-sport club achievements. Most of the kids ignored it, much to the faculty's dismay. Since the legs of our table tended to wobble it was not a popular place to sit and almost always free.

The cafeteria was the biggest part of the main building, with large windows on one side and glass doors leading out into a beautiful picnic area which was always crowded on sunny days. Inside was filled with expensive-looking, sturdy wooden tables, and matching chairs. I always wondered how much they cost compared to the usual metal and plastic you saw in most schools. There was a small window-sized opening leading into the kitchen where the school sold gourmet lunches provided by local restaurants, no actual cooking was done on campus. Next to that was a stage, used as a lecture hall and a space for the drama club to practice on. It stayed hidden behind a large blue curtain on most days.

Like most high schools the different social groups stayed separate, the elite class in one corner, the sports kids on the other side, and the other social clubs at the remaining tables. In the center of the room was Elizabeth, the most popular girl in school. She was holding court with her friends, a group of about six or so girls who worshipped the ground she walked on. It wasn't surprising that she was so popular seeing as she was rich, lusciously blond and conventionally attractive. Now mind you, these are all things that I don't usually have a problem with, except, her snotty attitude, and other rude behavior really discouraged me from ever liking her as a person. I had managed to avoid Elizabeth for most of my early high school career, but she made the mistake of rudely remarking on Sunita's appearance in my presence. Lack of sleep might have aided in my reaction but I tore into her, yelling at her in the middle of a study hall in the library. Unfortunately, this caused Elizabeth to fix her nastiness on me. It also began an amazing friendship with Sunita and Zola, so I never really regretted anything.

As we passed Elizabeth's table I stood with my back straight and eyes locked on my friends. Casimir trailed behind me as I made a beeline to my usual table and I could hear the conversation halt awkwardly at all the tables we passed. Students began whispering about the new boy as soon as they thought we were out of earshot. I'm sure they were wondering why Casimir and I were walking together, especially since I wasn't really known for being social.

Zola waved as I approached the table, quickly stuffing a bite of her lunch in her mouth. Sunita smiled but began to look nervous when she spied Casimir. I panicked a little because I knew Sunita wasn't super fond of boys and I wasn't sure how to explain Casimir and mine's new-found connection. I slung my backpack in an empty chair, slumping into the next nearest seat.

Zola raised her eyebrow at me. "Hey girl, how are you feeling?" She looked over at Casimir, who was standing nearby. "Hiya, Casper was it?"

"Casimir Reynolds," he said, nodding. "Would it be okay if I joined you, ladies?" He gestured at one of the many empty chairs.

Zola stifled a giggle at his polite tone. "It's fine with me," Zola responded, her gaze turning to myself and Sunita. "Ladies?"

I was glad I wasn't the only one who found his polite demeanor strange.

"He's cool," I said, unzipping my backpack. "Turns out he's an old family friend or something." Who I have never heard of before today. I knew my tone betrayed my anger because I was still a bit bitter that my grandfather had seemingly sprung this all on me at the last moment. How hard would it be to remind me that someone was moving into our house before it happened? That wasn't Casimir's fault though so I looked up at him with a grim smile, gesturing for him to sit in the seat next to me. The new boy happily settled into the chair, pulling a small sack lunch out from his book bag.