Chapter 23: New Kids in School

Casimir and I walked into class on Monday, taking our seats as quickly as possible. The entire homeroom class was clambering loudly, all discussing how Mr. Burke had left in the middle of the open house.

"I heard he quit, just left a note about how he didn't want to teach anymore," Zola said as I was taking out my books.

"Oh really?" I responded, sweating slightly. "He always did seem put out by teaching, like it was a big hassle sometimes."

"Yeah, but I think he really loved being in charge and lecturing people," Zola laughed, flicking her pen back and forth between her fingers. She was wearing her red glasses today, her hair was loose in a large afro around her head.

"I didn't know him that well," Casimir added, "but he did seem a bit uptight."

"That's the understatement of the year," Zola replied. I laughed lightly but knew my nerves would be fried by the end of the day. I assumed I was the last person to be seen with Mr. Burke, but so far no one had questioned me about it. Casimir and Grandpa assured me that they covered up his disappearance but I still felt uneasy. I began to wonder if he had any family and how they would feel about their child going missing.

"Where is Sunita?" I asked, noticing her empty chair. That girl was never late, I worried she might be sick.

"She didn't tell you?" Zola asked, shocked. "She got bumped into the elite class! There were two dropouts and she moved up."

"Oh wow, that's good I guess," I mumbled. It was something she was striving for but could never reach. I knew her parents would be thrilled but I would miss seeing her in class every day.

Zola, who seemed to be reading my mind, said, "I'll miss her too."

"At least we can still all eat lunch together," I reasoned.

Zola leaned her head into her hand, thinking deeply. "Yeah, if she doesn't ditch us for the elite table."

"No way!"

The classroom began to settle down as Ms. Clayton, the school's vice-principal, entered the room. She was a heavyset black woman, who in my humble opinion, was more qualified to be the Principal than our current administrator. She had a reputation for being tough but fair and always listened to student complaints. I always saw her marching down the hall in her sensible pantsuits, matched with brightly colored shirts and large jewelry. Everyone turned to listen to her speak, waiting to hear the news about our new teacher.

"Good morning students," she began. We all replied back and she smiled slightly. "First of all, I know you have all heard the rumors about Mr. Burke leaving suddenly. We have sent phone calls and emails with the details to your parents if you want to discuss it with them. We are sad he is gone but we must move on." Ms. Clayton opened up a folder she had in her hands, staring down at what I assumed were her notes.

"That being said, Mr. Burke left so suddenly and we have yet to find a permanent replacement for him," Ms. Clayton lectured loudly. Some people exchanged glances with each other wondering what that meant for our lessons, especially homeroom. "So while we interview for a replacement you will have a substitute teacher coming in to continue with your lesson plans and you will treat this teacher with the respect they deserve. They will be here shortly so I will need you to study quietly until the next period."

As I listened to Ms. Clayton I felt my stomach drop at the mention of our old homeroom teacher, the memories of him attacking me and transforming into a wraith were still fresh in my mind. I had been scribbling in my notebook to try and center my thoughts but Ms. Clayton was still talking so I raised my head up to listen, not wanting to be called out.