Chapter 39: Follow the Clues

Since we had no money, Azar and I ended up walking to the club and after about twenty minutes of brisk strolling, I was very glad I had worn my sneakers that day. The distance to the club from the dorms was only about eight or ten city blocks, which wasn't so bad. As the sun began to dip lower into the sky, even with my winter coat, I was beginning to wish I had dressed in more than a sundress and a pair of tights.

"Feeling chilly?" Azar asked as we stood across the street from the club, waiting for the light to change.

"I'm fine!" I said shortly, shuffling my legs to keep warm. "It doesn't look like the club is open yet."

"I don't see anyone outside either," Azar observed.

"So what's the plan?" I asked, glancing at the Fire Elemental.

"I thought you were the idea guy here?"

I nodded my head, my eyes on the crosswalk signal. "Right, sure. So we can either go in the front door or the side door."

"He might not be inside," Azar pointed out, tilting his head towards me.

I pondered this for a moment, pressing my hands into my pocket. An idea suddenly hit me. "Oh, I know! I can pretend that I left something at the club, and ask to look through the lost and found."

The light changed and we started to walk across the street.

"Sounds great, and then?" Azar prompted.

"Then we can see if Zach is in the building," I finished.

"And then?"

"We play it by ear?"

"This is going to end badly."

I elbowed him sharply as we finished crossing the street. "Don't be such a pessimist."

We walked up to the front door, ready to knock when I noticed it was slightly ajar.

"That seems strange," I muttered.

"Let me go in first," Azar said, reaching for the handle. I didn't argue, positioning myself behind him. The door creaked slightly as we opened it slowly. The fading afternoon light spilled inside revealing an empty room. Everything seemed drab without the help of the artificial lighting they used when the club was open for business. As it was right now, all the power was off and it appeared like no one was home. Azar paused, surveying everything around him before inching forward. I noticed a package sitting to the side of the door so I grabbed it, using it to prop the door open. Azar watched me quizzically.

"Quick escape exit, just in case," I whispered.

As we moved past the coat check and towards the double doors that led to the main floor, I could hear some muffled shouting. Azar cracked one of the doors open peering inside. He looked back at me and nodded, Zachary was there.

"Alone?" I whispered.

Azar nodded again and I saw his eyes narrow as he stared through the crack of the door.

"Here goes nothing," he said, pushing the door open. I rushed to follow, as the Fire Elemental was much faster than I. Zachary was standing near the bar, staring at a sheet of paper, he looked up upon seeing us enter.

"Zachary!" I shouted, trying to pull his attention away from Azar.

The blond bully stared at me, confusion covering his face. "What are you doing here, Massey?" he sniffed. Azar was on him in mere moments, grabbing both his wrists. Zach tried to pull away but to no avail. "Hey, hands off!"