Chapter 27: Guardian Grandpa

As I exited the principal's office Zachary passed me, an ice pack now pressed against his cheek. He winked as we crossed paths and I gritted my teeth yet again. I plopped back into my seat in the waiting room, the office assistant watching me carefully. As I pulled out my cell phone to text my grandfather I heard a sharp tsking noise.

"No phones, put that away!" the assistant barked.

Slightly startled, I hesitated. "I was just going to call my grandpa," I said weakly.

"No phones."

"Okay, okay," I muttered, shoving it back in my skirt pocket. I decided to read the note the principal had given me. It was a standard form explaining my suspension, how long it was for, and a list of what was considered acceptable behavior during my time away from school. I groaned under my breath and stopped reading, it was just too depressing.

After about ten minutes Zachary strolled out of the principal's office and out the door, grinning like an idiot. I was guessing he wasn't getting in any trouble, which wasn't that surprising, albeit still infuriating. I crossed my arms across my chest and slumped down further into my chair. I was tempted to pull a book out and read but was afraid the assistant would tell me no reading was allowed either. I could only hope Grandpa got the school's phone call and would come soon. The minutes ticked on and I watched, bored, as the office assistant plugged along, answering phones and typing at her computer. The principal came out several times to talk to her, but never looked in my direction. The bell for the last period came and went and I was still stuck in the office.

I was re-reading the signs plastered around the office for the thousandth time when the final bell rang and school was officially over. I watched as a wave of students exited their classrooms, the hallway filled with the sounds of the end of the week excitement. It only took a few minutes for Casimir to be standing at the large window of the front office, Azar, Maayan, and Zola following close behind him. I smiled weakly at my group of friends and waved as they stared on in confusion. I'm sure they were dying to know the whole story.

The office assistant did not appreciate my entourage waiting at the window and went over to close the giant blinds in an attempt to block their vision. Undeterred, Casimir walked in through the open door, heading straight over to me, concern etched on his face.

"Diana, what's going on? Someone said you were fighting?" Casimir asked, getting straight to the point. I was about to answer when the office assistant, named Sharon, as I learned from her desk placard, went to cut him off.

"Do you have any business in the office young man?" she asked, placing her hands on her hips.

Casimir looked at her, never pausing. "I have business with Diana, thank you, I don't need your help."

The look on the assistant's face was priceless and I had to stop myself from laughing out loud. "What is your name?" she hissed.

"Casimir Reynolds."

"Mr. Reynolds, you need to leave, Ms. Massey is waiting for her guardian to come to pick her up," she snipped.

"I see," Casimir replied simply, looking back over at me.

I tucked my head down, pretending to look defeated. "I'm fine, call grandpa, get him here," I said in a hushed whisper, knowing that with Casimir's advanced hearing that he would catch every word.

It only took ten more minutes for my grandfather to burst into the room. He came straight over to me.

"Are you okay Diana?"

"I'm sorry Grandpa," I blurted out, upon seeing his worried face my emotions went into overdrive. He knelt down at my side grasping my hand and I flinched in pain. I had been so worried about the fight that I hadn't even realized that I hurt myself. He noticed me grimacing and quickly released my hands.