Chapter 7: After School Activities

The rest of school flew by, especially after a pop quiz in World History that I was not prepared for. Once the quiz was complete the classroom got into a heated discussion about the Nazi regime's use of propaganda during their rise to power. At one point I thought Zola and the resident know-it-all Scott were going to come to blows during their debate.

The final bell rang and everyone quickly began packing up, our history teacher shouting last-second reminders about our homework over the rustling of our notebooks and backpacks.

"Ugh, I swear that Scott just loves to argue," Zola grumbled as she finished zipping up her bag. "It doesn't matter if you agree with each other, he just has to be contrary."

"You brought up good points though," Casimir said. "Propaganda is a powerful tool that can greatly influence others, even the most well-meaning people."

"Thank you," Zola replied with a nod towards the new boy. "Glad someone got what I was trying to say."

"Are you heading home now?" Casimir asked, looking at me.

I shot him a confused look, wondering if he wanted to return to the farm together as we hadn't made any prior plans. "Ah, no, I have art club."

"Oh, okay well then..." Casimir trailed off, thinking silently to himself.

"Do you need directions on how to get to the farm?" I asked as we began walking out the door. Sunita and Zola followed behind us, as they both had after-school classes as well.

"No, I know the way it's just that," he paused for a moment, scratching his head nervously, "I kinda promised Uncle George that I would escort you home since, well, you passed out earlier."

I felt my face flush slightly. "Oh, you don't need to worry about me, I'll be fine." My tone was a little harsher than I meant it to be which caused both Zola and Sunita to look a little shocked. I rushed ahead, embarrassed slightly by my words. I meant what I had said. I felt fine and I didn't particularly need Casimir to follow me around like I was some frail maiden who might pass out at any moment. Today isn't normal, I thought to myself. He doesn't need to worry. I'll be fine.

We had just come down the stairs and were heading through the first-floor hallway when we passed a group of girls near the lockers. They were consoling a young woman named Kelly, from the elite class, who was sobbing deeply.

"I'm so sorry Kelly."

"I can't believe he died, just like that."

I couldn't help staring at them as we passed but whipped my head forward when I heard they were talking about death. I felt ashamed for intruding on their moment. Once we were out of earshot, I turned to look over my shoulder at Zola, my face concerned but curious.

"What happened to Kelly? Who died?"

"Oh, man I forgot you went to the nurse's office and didn't hear the news," Zola mocked whispered. "It was her boyfriend Justin, he overdosed."

Sunita nodded her head in agreement, her face mournful. "It was that new drug that has been going around."

"New drug?" I asked as we exited the school and started on the path towards the clubrooms.

"Girl, where have you been?" Zola chided me, rolling her eyes as she did.

"We had that whole assembly on it, the local police came to talk to everyone," Sunita piped in. She noticed Casimir was listening to her as well and became flustered, looking away.

"I might have slept through that one," I admitted, embarrassed.

Zola laughed at my comment. "Well, you know, drugs are bad, don't do drugs. Yada, yada. They call it Yellow Soul or something, which is the stupidest name I have ever heard."