Chapter 21: Chat with Casimir

I blinked several times, my eyes adjusting to the darkness in my bedroom. I sat up slowly, glancing at the clock on my dresser. It was only 4:30 am, meaning I had only slept for a mere two hours before waking once again. My dream had all but faded from my memory, except the unpleasant vision of blood and a strong feeling of distress, which wasn't unusual for me. What was unusual was the fact that I couldn't recall the details of my dream.

I slid out of bed, rubbing my eyes as I debated on getting up or attempting to go back to sleep. A dryness in my throat commanded that I journey to the kitchen for a glass of water so I stumbled out of bed and down the hall to the kitchen. Within minutes I was happily sipping my water as I thought back to my conversation with Casimir and Grandpa. I was putting up my glass when I heard a rustling from upstairs. I stepped out of the kitchen to look up at the loft above the living room.

"Hello?" I said hesitantly, afraid I had woken Maya or Azar who might be sleeping above. Casimir peered through the railing, waving when he saw me.

"It's just me," he said in a way of explanation.

"Where is everyone else?"

"Azar is sleeping in Master Enki's room and I think the others went outside to sleep," he said.

"Outside?"

Casimir laughed lightly, explaining, "It's not uncommon, they love nature."

"Oh," I said, shifting slightly in my stance as I imagined them sleeping in the trees. "What are you still doing up?"

"I couldn't sleep, you?"

"Same old thing. Had some strange dreams, except this time I couldn't remember much," I yawned as I spoke, glancing back up at the loft. Casimir smiled at me from between the railing and I hesitated before asking my next question. "Okay if I join you?"

"Please," Casimir replied. I climbed the steps to the second floor, taking in Casimir's set up of blankets and pillows laid out on the floor.

"Comfy," I commented as he scooted over to make room for me, moving some of his books and piles of notes. I sat down, crossing my legs as I grabbed one of the decorative pillows to hug. Without thinking I decided to help Casimir organize and grabbed a stack of paper piled close to my feet. I glanced curiously at the pages as I handed them over and the young man noticed. I felt embarrassed for prying. "Sorry I should have asked."

"No, it's fine. We said we'd tell you everything," Casimir noted with a sad smile. "Although this would look like a lot of gibberish to you since it's written in Terrarish."

"Terrarish, huh? You know, I was wondering, was English hard for you to learn?" I asked, curious.

"No harder than any other language," he admitted. I was betting he knew a few. Casimir reached over to grab a random sheet of paper, holding it out for me to take a closer look and it did indeed seem illegible. The symbols and letters resembled fancy-looking English, with more accents and wavy lines, but he was correct in the fact that I couldn't understand any of it.

"Let me guess, this is written in your language? Terrabbit?"

"Terrarish, and yes it is," Casimir replied with a chuckle. He placed the note over to his side, stacking it neatly with the others.

"It looks familiar, a lot like your..." I trailed off suddenly because I was going to say 'your tattoo' until I thought better of it. Unfortunately, I had glanced directly at Casimir's right shoulder when I was speaking and his eyes narrowed in confusion. I swore to myself, debating if I wanted to confess to me spying on him while he undressed a few weeks ago. Casimir made the decision easier for me when he asked directly.