Chapter 31: Mysterious Savior

No alarms went off as I trotted past the doorway and into the cold darkness of the ally. The delightful smell of garbage and urine greeted me and I gagged slightly. I raised my hand to cover my eyes in an attempt to protect them from the harsh glare of the security lights. I was happy to be out of the hallway, although not thrilled with my current situation. Two men, apparently on a break from working the club, paused in their conversation to look up at me. I could feel that they were slightly confused, probably because they didn't recognize me as an employee. My face broke out into a large smile in an attempt to ease their worries. I didn't stay to chat, tucking my hands under my arms to keep warm as I turned to stalk out of the alleyway. I breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't follow me or ask any questions, then shivered as an icy breeze ran across my bare legs.

"Damnit Diana," I grumbled. I promptly glanced around, taking out my phone to text Zola and let her know I had gone outside. I wasn't about to get murdered in an alley because no one knew where I was. I was still worrying about Sunita as I got to the end of the alley, pausing when I noticed a large black car was blocking my path. It was definitely some sort of celebrity or rich dignitary car as the windows were tinted black and it looked important. I was betting it was bulletproof and had armor plating.

There was a young woman at the corner of the alley, smoking a cigarette, looking bored as she was trying to keep warm. I groaned internally when I realized that would have to squeeze past her to make it onto the sidewalk since the car was blocking the other side. As I approached she smiled at me in a knowing way and I nodded my head, smiling back.

"Hey hun, looking to party?" she asked, looking me up and down. I stopped in my tracks, confused for a moment before realizing she was probably offering to sell me drugs.

"I'm sorry, no cash on me," I blurted out. I was still holding onto my arms, trying not to shiver. The drug pusher was skinny, except for her round face. Around her head was a cascade of ringlets that must have taken her hours to style. Her coat was short but appeared warm, even though her long legs were exposed, covered only in a pair of fishnet stockings.

The young woman smiled as she took in my appearance. "Oh, a cutie like you can have the first one free."

She pulled out a tiny bag and inside was a bright yellow pill. I wondered if this was the drug Casimir was looking for as my hand automatically reached out to take the bag. Our fingers brushed and I felt a deep churning of emotions, the rush almost made me feel sick.

This woman was possessed by a shadow wraith.

I'm sure I made an unpleasant face but the drug dealer took no notice, grabbing suddenly at me as she took a big whiff of air. She pulled my hand towards her, smelling it deeply and I was sufficiently creeped out.

"I'll take my hand back now," I said flatly.

"You smell amazing, almost like..."

I was pulling harder now, still failing to get my hand out of her grasp. "Yeah, it's a new body spray, smells like-" I felt a sharp tug and was suddenly thrown up against the wall of the alley. I cried out in pain. "Hey! What are you doing?!"

"Just one taste," the woman groaned, holding me now at the shoulders as I struggled to get away.

"Back off creep!" I screamed. Her hands moved to choke me and I flew into defense mode. I pushed her head away and hammered at her wrists, twisting to get out of her hold as she stumbled to the side. I darted away but she was fast, snarling as she lunged at me again. I had chosen the wrong direction to escape, the black car blocking my quick exit to the street. I was about to yell again when a voice rang out from the car.