Chapter 37: Frame Job

I was escorted out the same way I had come into the police station, my questions about the whereabouts of my grandfather being met with vague and unhelpful answers. The detectives told me they would have a police car take me to school, I'm sure, just so they could keep an eye on me. I was about to protest my police escort, not wanting to leave, when the familiar sight of Casimir caught my attention and my heart leaped. I rushed over to him, wrapping the young man in a hug as soon as he got close.

If he was embarrassed by my forwardness I'd never know, but eventually, his arms raised up to hug me back, patting my back reassuringly. My cheeks flushed as he held me. I enjoyed being close to him for reasons I couldn't quite explain.

"I probably should have mentioned that you don't have to talk to the police without a lawyer present," Casimir whispered, pulling away from our hug. He glanced at the pair of cops, waiting for us near their car.

I felt my heart sink. "I'm guessing that's code for I should have kept my big mouth shut."

Casimir sighed, running his fingers through his hair. He had pulled loose his necktie and unbuttoned the top few rows of his dress shirt which seemed positively sloppy for the young man.

"We can talk about it when we're alone," he said softly, walking toward the waiting car.

"Why are we leaving? Shouldn't we stay with Grandpa?" I asked, hesitating to follow as I glanced over at the police station.

"No, he'll be fine," Casimir insisted.

"Fine?! He's been arrested," I shouted, a little too loudly.

The officers waiting on us glanced curiously in our direction and I cast my eyes down, embarrassed by my outburst. Casimir just shook his head and got into the car so I followed.

I was irritated as I sat there, not wanting to make eye contact with either of the policemen as they drove us the short distance to our school. We had timed our arrival almost perfectly, the bell for lunch ringing just as we pulled up to the front gate. My plea to be dropped off a block away from school had been ignored and now every student heading down to lunch would see us getting out of a police car and arriving late to school.

"Here ya go kiddos," the driver said as his partner laughed. I opened my mouth to say something but Casimir cut me off.

"Thank you for the ride, officers."

I shot an angry glare at the policemen as Casimir ushered me away, heading down the path towards the front doors.

"I can't believe they expect us to go to school after everything that has happened," I grumbled. "Like I'll be able to concentrate on anything while Grandpa is in jail."

"He's been arrested on trumped-up charges," Casimir insisted. "The cops don't have enough evidence to really make anything stick. They were hoping to find a murder weapon somewhere on the farm but haven't yet. They were also dependent on getting you to confess to seeing the attack."

"B-but-"

"The only reason they are letting you go so easily is so that you can lead them to the murder weapon or more evidence," Casimir explained, as we walked up the front steps of the school.

"How do you know all of this?"

Casimir tapped at his ear with a small grin and I groaned.

"Of course, super hearing," I mumbled. "So did you hear everything going on in my room?"

"Yes," he admitted.

"Did you know about all of those creepy photos Burke had of me?!" I questioned, stopping just short of the front doors. I was still weirded out by all of those, especially the ones of me half-dressed. I glanced through the glass doors, watching the students make their way to the cafeteria for lunch.