Chapter 30: Nightclub

After a few more minutes of final checks and the changing of purses, we shrugged on our heavy jackets and were out the door. I was thankful that we didn't run into anyone on the elevator as I was still a bit nervous about my makeover. As we watched for our taxi Zola insisted on snapping a photo of the two of us, which I begged her not to post.

"Just sending it to AJ," she insisted. "If that is okay?"

"Don't let him know that's me! Tell him I'm your mysterious new friend, Betty or something."

"You look more like a Veronica than a Betty hun," Zola joked. I stuck out my tongue at her and she snapped another picture, laughing evilly when I cried for her to delete it. "Oh no, this is my new photo for when you call, now and forever."

"You are the worst," I said, stamping my feet a little. The heels made it hard to feel intimidating.

The taxi arrived and we got in, riding the 20 minutes to the club in the blissful heat of the car. I tried to help pay for the cab but Zola dismissed me, tipping the man nicely for being on time. He offered to come to pick us up, handing us his card so we could call. The front of the club was crowded, with people milling around all chatting loudly. I noticed a small group smoking cigarettes and wrinkled my nose at the smell as we approached.

The nightclub was a two-story building decorated with blue neon lights, its logo was a crescent moon, which I found fitting, given the name. The front door was surrounded by a soft glowing white light that gave the bouncer an otherworldly appearance. There was a small line but since it was a 21 and under night it didn't look as busy as I had seen from online photos. I was guessing the fact that no alcohol was being served kept some of the regulars away.

We were about to head to the back of the line when the bouncer saw us and nodded, opening the rope, gesturing for us to come through. It was like a moment in one of those movies, except now I was the pretty girl getting special treatment. Zola and I said 'thank you' as we passed and when I looked up at the man I could swear his eyes were gold. We checked our coats quickly and entered the main part of the club. It was dark, loud, and hotter than I expected. The inside decorations were very sleek and stylish with its modern furniture, mirrors, and thousands of LED lights all along the ceilings. The bar was a centerpiece, with blue glowing shelves showing off beautiful bottles of liquor and a line of matching glasses. I saw a DJ working away, elevated on a stage to one side of the dance floor. Lights flashed and pulsed as people danced in time to the music and it was all very exciting. All across the other walls were plush couches, chairs, and short tables, sitting under an array of lights that seems to blink in sync with the music. As I cast my eyes upward I could see a loft, which was less crowded and had another bouncer guarding the stairs below. I assumed it had to be for special VIP patrons.

Zola linked arms with me and we walked the perimeter checking out all of the sights. She leaned into me, talking straight into my ear. "Do you want to dance or get a drink and people-watch?"

"People watch please!"