Chapter 24: Much Ado About Dating

It was finally lunchtime and our group followed the crowd down into the cafeteria located on the first floor of the school. As we were walking down the hallway I noticed a few students slow down to glance into the open door of the front office. I wondered what was piquing their interest so as I was stalled by the bottleneck to enter the cafeteria, I peered inside the office to have a look.

There were two men, an elderly black gentleman and, a younger white male, both dressed in suits, their long jackets slung over their arms. They were chatting with the Principal, Mr. Williams, whose face seemed very grave. He was handing them a disk, shaking his head quickly. The two men thanked the principal and moved to walk out into the hall, hesitating when they saw the mass of students making their way to the cafeteria. They eventually dove into the crowd just as we began moving again, and I could overhear them speaking to each other as we traveled the ten feet to the front entrance.

"We need to get back to the station and watch the video feed as soon as possible."

"Ah make Peterson do it, he loves that sort of stuff," the younger man said with a dismissive tone.

"Sometimes it's best to do your own research and investigation work, Johnson," the older man said. He had a deep, no-nonsense tone to his voice. They turned to walk out the front door, shrugging on their coats before they reached the exit. I watched them go, now even more curious as to why exactly they had come. The realization hit me after a minute and I glanced over at Casimir, who was walking beside me.

"Casimir did you...?"

"I heard," he said simply.

Of course he did, I thought. From what I could tell they were possibly policemen or detectives coming to investigate someone in the school; I wondered if it had to do with Mr. Burke. I was groaning internally at the thought of a possible video catching me and my homeroom teacher together the night of his disappearance. I knew the hall was full of people when he asked me to follow him, so there was no doubt at least one witness. I didn't recall what happened after the attack since I had been knocked out, but I was betting no one saw me leave.

As our group headed for our usual table in the corner, Azar was pulled away by the Madisons, insisting he come to chat with them. I noticed he didn't commit to sitting but instead leaned over the table to flirt with the girls as they nibbled on their food.

"And we lost one," Zola commented, watching Azar at Elizabeth's table. I glanced around, looking for Sunita, who I eventually found crowded at the two tables usually occupied by the elite students.

"And there is number two," I lamented waving at Sunita, who waved back sheepishly. She was surrounded by other girls who glared slightly at our table, turning Sunita's attention back to them. I mumbled under my breath as I sat down.

We all pulled out our lunches and began eating, Zola commenting on how cute it was that Casimir and I had matching meals. I settled in to eat, deciding to worry about the detectives and Mr. Burke later when I could talk to Casimir in private.

"Aw, it's like you're brother and sister," Zola teased. I made a face at her but scarfed down my sandwich, which was amazing. She noticed my enthusiasm. "Is it good?"

"So good and I don't even know what it is," I admitted.

"It's hummus with cucumbers, spinach, and a special ginger carrot salad," Casimir explained.

"Listen to you Mr. Ramsay," Zola said, a smirk on her face.

"It's Reynolds," Maya corrected, not understanding Zola's reference.