Chapter 32: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

I was sitting under the shade of the giant oak tree, twirling the wildflower I was holding between my fingers lazily. He was late, much later than usual. I suppose that was to be expected since he was a well-to-do knight nowadays, but I was still upset. Time slipped by and I realized I would have to be getting home soon, sneaking back into the castle by way of my secret tunnel. I missed Casimir but I had to admit that I was enjoying my moment of solitude. I loved sitting alone, deep in the forests near the village, the castle far off in the distance. Sometimes I liked to come out here alone and pretend I wasn't a princess. Just a regular girl with no responsibilities or undue pressure from an overbearing father.

Those are probably problems regular girls have as well, I thought. But they most definitely didn't have to deal with their blood summoning and controlling wraiths either.

A crackling in the bushes caused me to look up and I spied Casimir as he stepped into the clearing. He pulled down the hood of his cloak, smiling sadly as he saw me. He was dressed in his leathers and official royal armor, which made him look very grown-up. Now he was nothing like the skinny child I once knew. It appeared that he tried to tidy up, his reddish-brown hair pulled back into a tight ponytail, although some of his bangs still hung loose in front of his eyes. I started to stand up, brushing the flower petals off of my dress. My heart skipped a beat as he approached and I blushed as he helped me to my feet.

"I didn't think you would show," I said, trying to tease him. He always came, that would never change.

"I had to come, to say goodbye."

I was shocked into silence, staring into his face. His warm brown eyes gazed back at me and filled with a quiet sadness.

I pulled back my hand, angry at his words. "So it is true, you are going off to fight in the war?"

"I must," he replied and I let out a sigh. I was worried for his safety, but this is why he had spent so many years training, and he was one of the best in his class.

I reached out to touch the side of his face, smiling as I did. "When will I see you again?"

He put his hand over mine, pulling it down from his cheek slowly. "I don't think we should see each other, at least not like this. Not again."

I felt my heart drop, and the blood rushed to my head. I thought for a moment that I had misheard him. "Wh-what exactly are you saying?"

Casimir sighed, glancing off towards the direction of the castle. I could tell he was upset but also determined.

"It was different when we were children Taya but now things have changed."

"Nothing has 'changed', except perhaps the depth of my love," I insisted.

"It's too dangerous."

"What? Is this about that time Captain Enki caught us kissing?" I asked, reaching out to take his hands in mine. "He didn't say anything to anyone."

"But he could have and now he knows," Casimir remarked, still not looking me in my eyes. "We were especially lucky that time your Uncle caught us."

"Most everyone knows Casimir!" I said, pulling down on his arms, trying to get him to meet my eyes. He was always shy and nervous as a child but I thought time had changed this. I couldn't stand him acting this way around me, we had been through so much.

"Everyone may suspect but not your father," he responded, his tone harsh.

"No, that is true," I whispered. The thought of my father finding out about our relationship had always filled me with dread, but somehow I managed to push these feelings away. I just wanted to enjoy what I had at the moment.