Chapter 29: Girls Night In

Much to my Grandfather's delight, Casimir had no problem driving me to the train station. I hated to admit a trip in the truck was a lot faster and easier than trying to bike with my duffel bag strapped to my back. While on our short ride to the train station I turned on the radio in the hopes of avoiding any further conversation. I didn't want to admit it but I was still mad about the whole secret operation/ date happening tonight. I knew I had no powers or skills to add to the team but I hated being left out now that I knew the truth. Luckily Casimir didn't press me for any information, although I did notice him glance at me a few times, opening his mouth like he wanted to say something. Each time he attempted to do this I just focused my attention on the scenery outside my window, continuing my site-seeing until we got to my destination. I thanked him and quickly hopped out of the truck, running up the stairs to the station. I was proud of myself for not looking back as I swiped my pass and boarded the train heading down into the city.

It was an uneventful walk to the dorms and as I hiked towards the building I texted Zola, letting her know I was almost there. A student was leaving as I arrived and they held the door open for me, so I scooted inside with a thank you. The security guard looked up from their desk, eyeing me suspiciously. I waved my school ID to hopefully help alleviate their worries. I was about to text Zola again when the elevator doors dinged open and my friend walked out.

"Girl, there you are!"

"Hey Zola," I replied, shrugging my bag higher up on my shoulder. Zola was wearing a pair of plaid pants and a cute sweater, her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and her glasses were bright green.

"Cute pants," I commented.

"See, you do have good taste," Zola sniffed and I looked at her confused. "Nevermind, let's go." She waved at the security guard with a loud hello before shoving me into the elevator.

"Wait, don't I have to check in?"

Zola scoffed at me, pressing the button for the eleventh floor. "You are on suspension, do you really want the school to know you were breaking the rules?"

"I guess not."

"Live dangerously but not stupid," Zola said smiling. We exited the elevator and went into the suite she shared with Sunita and Jennifer. I went into Zola's room to drop off my bag, amazed at how quiet the apartment seemed.

"Where is everyone?" I asked, looking around for any signs of life.

"Sunita is at the library studying and Jen is gone," Zola called out from the living room.

"Gone?!" I said, walking back towards Zola.

"Yeah, she quit school or her parents moved her? I don't know, we didn't get a lot of notice," Zola admitted. "You want a drink?"

"Please."

I sat down on the couch, looking around the living room. They had moved the furniture since I last visited and everything seemed tidier. Zola returned from the kitchen, two bottles of pineapple soda in her hands. I took mine happily as I loved all the unique flavored drinks Zola would buy. She loved to shop at the local Asian, Hispanic, and Indian grocery markets so her cupboards were full of interesting food. I wondered if I could get her to take me to one this weekend and help me pick up a few things.

"Thank you," I said, sipping from my drink. "Too bad about Jen, although it seems a lot cleaner in here."

"Yeah she was nice, but a slob," Zola snickered.

"Hey, don't talk, I just saw your room."

"That is what you call organized chaos."

I raised my eyebrow at my friend. "Ah huh, sure."