Chapter 35: Happy Birthday

I stood before the target, sighing softly as I raised my bow. I drew back my arm, checking the wind before releasing my arrow. There was a small rush of pleasure when the arrow struck the bullseye, but it was short-lived. I heard clapping behind me and turned to spy my sister Aurora approaching from the doorway of the Keep.

"Excellent form as always Taya," she remarked, lowering her hands as she smiled.

"Thanks," I replied, blushing as she smiled at me.

My sister was always radiant in my eyes, as she had received all the best qualities of both our mother and father. Her hair was a brilliant white gold, which fell into large soft curls around her face and I was always envious of her curvy proportions along with her soft features, all of which she inherited from our mother. Her shocking violet eyes surveyed me deeply, a smile on her round lips.

"But have you been practicing your aim while in motion?" she asked, walking over to the paneling that controlled the practice field. She pressed a few buttons changing the spells that commanded the speed, distance, and variety of targets. The targets now began to move, flitting about the field, leaving a trail of magic behind them as they danced in the air.

Aurora opened her hands before her, summoning her own personal bow into existence. Her fingers were awash with power as she aimed the bow, letting loose a flurry of magic arrows, each one hitting its target with ease. The targets disappeared with a satisfying ping noise and Aurora lowered her bow, smirking softly.

I scrunched up my face, muttering under my breath. "Show off." It seemed like her personal bodyguard, Ime, had been giving her lessons again. He was a master marksman no matter the weapon but his specialty was the bow.

Aurora swayed suddenly and I rushed forward in an attempt to help her. She waved me off, shaking her delicate hand as she smiled thinly.

"You've overdone it again!" I chided, watching her closely in case she suddenly felt faint again.

Long ago, before I was born, a plague had swept through the kingdom, catching Aurora and my father in its unyielding devastation. My sister nearly died and the plague stole from her most of her stamina. She had been told she would never fully recover and yet still she pushed herself in an effort to please our father.

"I am fine, really," she told me, returning her bow back to its magical hiding place. "Please, take your turn."

I gave her a look but eventually complied, raising my own bow to take aim at the fast-moving targets. Unlike my sister, I chose to pull physical arrows from the ground. I was a little slower and ended up missing the last bullseyes on the target, but I was satisfied nonetheless.

"Oh, very good," Aurora commented, clapping happily.

"Yes, well, we can't all be as perfect as you Aurora," I sniffed, turning to stick my tongue out at her. It irked me sometimes that even with the limits of her stamina she still bested me in most things. I knew that wasn't fair but I was still bitter.

"You're doing very well, I mean that," she stressed, placing her hands on her hips. "Honestly sometimes you act as though I never work hard for my own success."

"I'm not saying you don't work hard," I groaned, twanging the string on my bow playfully. "I'm just saying some things come easier to you dear sister."

"Hmmm, this coming from our father's favorite child," she sniffed. I could tell she was trying to make a joke, but there was a hint of pain behind her comment.

I rolled my eyes, shrugging my shoulders in an exaggerated fashion that was very unbecoming of a princess. "Oh by all means, if you would like to trade places," I laughed. "You can have my wraith summoning blood and impossible to control lunar powers as well."