twenty four

Renée and Pete decided that their wedding would be at home. John became an ordained minister the week prior, because they wanted a friend to officiate the wedding. Most of the guests were friends from work, so they didn't really have to worry about COVID. The chances that anyone there would have had COVID were pretty low, especially considering that everyone was taking it seriously. 

She was getting ready in Amy's room to avoid Pete. They wanted to keep some traditions, but obviously not all of them. Renée refused to wear a "real" wedding dress, so she opted for something out of her closet. It was more of a casual wedding because no one really wanted to put on nice clothes. Amy was helping her do her hair when she burst into tears.

"What's wrong, hun?"

"I just really wish my parents could be here. Growing up, all I wanted was to get married and for them to be there. One of the things that I've wanted since I was a kid got ripped away from me and I've been struggling to get through it."

"Do you want me to go get someone? Like your brother maybe?" Casey asked.

"That would be nice, thank you."

Casey left the room and went downstairs to find Marc. Renée was dabbing her eyes with tissues while Amy finished doing her hair. When Casey announced that something was wrong with Renée, she had to step in front of Pete to prevent him from going up the stairs.

"She's okay, but she's really in her feelings about her parents. Mom is helping her with things. You'll get to see her soon, I promise."

Renée was blending her foundation when there was a knock at the door. Marc walked in and smiled at her before deciding to sit on the bench next to her.

"You kinda look like mom. Listen, Pete loves you more than anything. He doesn't just love you because you're pretty, either. He loves you because you're strong and funny and basically everythng under the 'great person' umbrella. Mom and dad would be so proud of you. I know you wanted them here, but you know that they're here in spirit. You know they got married when I was seven, right?"

"Haha, you were an illegitimate child. Sucks to suck."

"I guess I was. They got married here because mom wanted dad's last name, and you know married women couldn't legally change their last names in France. You're gonna say that you think it's stupid, and I agree. They were so in love with each other, and I see that in you and Pete. I mean, how many people can say that their fiancé learned French just to propose? I still remember that time he came over before you started dating, and thinking of the look on his face when mom and dad started talking to him in French makes me laugh every time. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I've never seen you this happy in my life. Except for maybe that time mom and dad surprised you with that Disney World trip when you were nine. You got this, okay?"

"Okay. Now leave so that I can finish doing my makeup and we can dance until our legs fall off."

Amy and Casey were the first to head to their basement apartment where everyone else was waiting. Renée felt like all eyes were on her and that she would mess it up. It was hard for her not to cry as she saw everyone waiting. She let out a slight laugh when she saw Pete wearing sweatpants and a tie dye hoodie. Someone must've told Pete the color of her dress, because his hoodie matched it. 

They said the, "I do's," before John let them say their vows. They agreed that Pete would go first because Renée was unprepared.

"Where do I begin? Uh, so, when we first met, I thought that you were pretty awesome. Like you were the one person at work that I could smoke with and you wouldn't tell anyone. And then shit happened, and I was going through a lot. You didn't have to let me stay at your place, but you did. And then you saved my life, and I fell in love with you. I knew that I wanted to marry you right around our one-year anniversary. I know we don't celebrate that shit, but you made me put 'real clothes' on just so we could see that old-timey movie with Timothée in it. And then lockdown kicked in and you read to me. Mostly cause I never like... want to read but you have really good taste in books. I think we saw every murder documentary in that time, too. You're the reason that I like some musicals now. Like if you told me five years ago the type of shit that I would be listening to in the car, I would've laughed in your face. And I feel so lucky that I have you, because you're brilliant. I'm lucky that I got to meet your parents, because they were dope. These past few months have been really difficult on both of us but you make it easier for me. I just love you so much."

Renée was crying by the time Pete was done giving his speech.

"Damn, I was really hoping that I would be able to top that. You're the funniest person I know. Sorry, John. You helped me when I was at my lowest low point, and you hyped me up when I was at my highest high point. You get bonus points because you learned French to propose, and I know that couldn't have been easy because native French speakers speak it fast. I would gladly pull another all-nighter to watch a weird docuseries about tigers with you, no questions asked. When I was really down, you took great care of me. We're here for each other and I could not ask for a better husband."

They kissed as everyone cheered. People started to dig into the pizza that they ordered and Cassie walked up to Renée.

"I like your dress." She said.

"Thank you. It has pockets. Let's get our pizza."

Things were in full swing by the time everyone finished eating, and music was playing. They danced to Head Over Heels by Tears For Fears before the song Helpless played. Renée had to sing, because everyone knew that you always sing the lyrics to Hamilton as loud as possible. People started to leave at around ten, but that was okay with the newlyweds. All of the guests were gone after midnight, and Renée took her shoes off to relax.

"Can I announce our marriage to Instagram?" She asked.

"Go ahead, babe. You're the best."

ambroserenee This is a silly picture of my husband (!)

ambroserenee This is a silly picture of my husband (!). We've been together for almost two years and he's the love of my life. Trying not to sound too cheesy here, but he helped me a lot after my parents passed away. 

12/9/2020 ❤️️

liked by jvn, candacepatton, and 6,902,451 others
{comments for this post have been disabled}

A/N: Not me crying while writing their vows. 3 chapters left! Ahh!