fourteen

It was Thanksgiving, and Renée woke up to the smell of bacon coming from the kitchen. That was the first thing that she noticed, because Pete normally didn't cook unsupervised. The second thing that she noticed was that the Hamilton soundtrack was playing. She quickly got up and put on a pair of sweatpants before walking out into the kitchen.

"Hey. Everything okay? You're never up before noon on a non-workday."

"I wanted to make you breakfast. I haven't burned anything yet, but I should probably check on the coffee. I had to Google how to use a French press."

Renée smiled and grabbed a mug from the cabinet before pouring her coffee and getting the creamer from the fridge. They sat on the couch and watched the parade while eating breakfast. Pete was taking a shower when Amy walked downstairs to tell Renée that the family planned to see Pete's grandpa. Renée turned on a Netflix series as Amy left and played games on her phone. The water in the bathroom stopped running and Renée leaned up to see over the couch as Pete walked out of the bathroom.

"Oh, your mom came in and said that we're going to your grandpa's house so yeah. Maybe I should like not wear my pajamas if we're going."

"Cool. When are we going?"

"I don't know. I'll be ready in an hour."

She got up from the couch and got clean clothes to wear before going into the bathroom to get ready to go. She decided to wear a stretchy dress with leggings, because it was fashionable and comfortable, especially if she was going to eat a lot of food. Amy told them that they would go there together and that she would drive, so they knew that they had to be ready at around two in the afternoon.

Everyone helped Amy put food in the car before they passed her phone around to play songs through the bluetooth system. The drive there was fairly short, and Renée was excited. She hadn't seen Pete's grandpa in a while, but she loved him. 

"Hey, I can't open the door, you idiot. I'm holding a pie and bread rolls." Renée told Pete as they stood by the door of the small home. Pete was holding a thing of mashed potatoes, and everyone else had their hands full. He finally opened the door when Amy gave him a death glare long enough.

They walked into the house and Pete's grandpa greeted them. Renée helped prepare the food and Amy got out a bottle of wine that they could drink with their dinner. In the few minutes that weny by between their arrival and dinner, Renée had eaten a lot of cheese. 

The conversations that they were having during the meal were ones that sent Renée into bouts of laughter. When everyone decided that they were done with dinner, Renée felt exhausted. She knew that it was because she ate too much food, but she decided to help Amy with the dishes anyways.

"Hey, we're watching a Christmas movie about this knight that time travelled or something if you're interested." Pete said. Renée turned to Amy for a cue on if she should stay or leave.

"You can go and watch the movie. There aren't that many dishes left. I'll be fine."

Renée put the dish towel on the counter and walked into the living room with Pete. The space was dimly lit because of the sunset and the partially drawn curtains and it made Renée more tired. She laid on the couch and grabbed a blanket before putting her feet on Pete's lap. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep, and Pete's grandpa was also asleep.

He started laughing when he realized how much them sleeping freaked him out. His grandpa slept with his arms crossed over his chest and Renée could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. But it was also common knowledge that Pete often had trouble sleeping. The movie ended and the two were still sound asleep, and Pete was worried that Renée would wake up if he moved.