Avalanche of Feelings (16)

Upon arrival at the hotel we're staying in, I threw myself on the bed and stared at the ceiling.

"What's the matter? You seem to be unusually drained," Lesley commented.

I spread my arms and responded, "Say, Lesley, how would you react if someone suddenly proposes to you?"

I sat up straight and looked at her straight in the eyes. Though, Lesley looked away while clipping a few locks of her hair behind her ear.

"I'd be very much delighted, especially when the one who proposed is the man I like," she replied. There was a long pause after as if she was hesitant to continue.

I kept quiet and didn't look away from her to show that I was still listening to her. She looked down and her fingers fidgeted.

"But that seems to be impossible now since he is together with someone else," she continued.

I got off from my bed and knelt in front of her while holding her hands. I flashed her a smile.

"Have you told him of your feelings?"

Lesley shook her head and replied, "No, how could I do that when he is in a relationship?"

Well, she's got a point.

"I'm sorry, Hanabi," she suddenly apologized.

This time, it was her squeezing my hands. She couldn't look at me in the eyes so she shut hers instead while gripping on me.

"I actually like Gusion. It seems that he proposed to you but I want to at least say it."

I was flabbergasted, of course. I didn't know what to say so I simply stared at her with my tongue-tied. What am I supposed to tell her?

"I'm so sorry."

Those were the only words I could say. I hugged her and caressed her hair. But out of nowhere, she pushed me away, made a quick apology before running out of our room.

I grabbed my phone and dialed a number. He should take care of her before everything goes downhill.

After making that call, I decided to go down the lobby to ask for some information regarding the surrounding shops. I might as well shop as early as I can since we'll be busy once the conference starts.

When I reached the first floor, the elevator dinged and the doors slowly open. When it was wide enough to see who was waiting outside, I was frozen in place when a familiar face appeared before me.

He looked more mature compared to the last time I saw him. His hair was slicked back with a few locks hanging by his forehead. It was my first time seeing him wearing a formal black suit and it suited him perfectly. I could also see the shock in his eyes but he somehow recovered quickly.

He entered the elevator while I still stood in the same spot. I couldn't even move my fingers! Why was I not warned that we'll be seeing each other so early?! I just came from Japan and I was still jetlagged, and yet here comes another obstacle?! Why was not I informed in advance?!

"Are you not getting off?" he asked.

"I... I..."

Why am I even stuttering?! Damn it, Hanabi! Pull yourself together!

"No," I replied.

He pressed the 12th floor which was on the same floor where our room was located. Wait, what if he'll assume that I was going after him? And what's with this situation?! Us being alone inside this suffocating elevator seemed like those silly situations happening in shoujo mangas. Wait, what the hell was I thinking?!

"What business did you come here for?" Hanzo suddenly asked.

"A conference," was my simple reply.

"I see..." he paused for a while and asked once again, "how's your mom and her sister doing?"

HER SISTER?! Did this guy just drop his brain somewhere? He didn't even address aunt Myrna as his mother. Wait, wasn't I mad at this bastard because of what he did?

I turned on my heels so I could face him before flashing a sweet smile.

"Did you miss me that much?"

And he still had the audacity to ask such silly questions. I giggled and took three steps forward, near enough for me to reach out to him.

"My mom is doing just fine," I replied.

I dusted off his suit by the shoulder before looking back into his emerald eyes.

"As for aunt Myrna, I have something for you so you could know how she is doing."

After saying that, I clenched my fist and jabbed him right on the face. He even bumped his head on the side after I landed my ultimate punch.

"How dare you treat her that way?! She adopted you, sent you to school, and fed you! And this is what you give her in return? Shame on you!" I yelled.

And I was glad that the elevator doors opened, making a perfect timing for me to walk out.

"Serves you right, bastard!" I said.