The Chase (Gusion|Guinevere)

Hearing the announcement of her father involving her engagement, Guinevere slammed her hands on the table that tipped off her glass of wine.

"For the nth time, father," she said, glaring right at the head of the Baroque household, "I do not agree with such engagement! Lancelot is not yet found after months of him being missing!"

Her outburst was expected by her mother for she had never been the type of girl who believes in fate or romantic love.

"I have sent men to comb the mountains in search of your brother," her father stated, "and didn't you always have affection towards Gusion?"

That name... that name she hated had been spoken of yet again. She scoffed, "That was before!"

She no longer had the words to say so she walked away from the dining hall and ran towards her private chambers. She slammed the door shut and locked it to make sure no one was going to bother her. She opened her closet and grabbed her bag.

"I ain't just sit here and be engaged. I'm going to find Lancelot," she stated, packing some things she needed in her travel. That night, she snuck out from the mansion and did not hesitate to leave. Her brother was on a one month mission but six months had already passed and no words had been heard from him. He finishes his job as soon as he can and now that it had been months already, she was sure that something happened to him.

As she stepped out from the great gates of Magical City, the thick and silence of the forest greeted her. It was dangerous to travel at night but Guinevere was more than determined to find Lancelot and run away from her supposed to be marriage.

"May I ask why a mage like you is out here in the middle of the night?" she heard a familiar voice from behind. And if her guess was right, it was him whom she wanted to see last.

When she turned her head, she clicked her tongue upon meeting the gaze of her fiance, none other than Gusion Paxley. His silver hair was as white as the full moon that night. It did suit him to be called the moonlight sonata of Magical City.

"Right back at you," she scoffed.

Gusion, who was playing with his dagger, leaned away from the tree he was resting on and walked towards his fiancee with a smirk plastered on his face.

"Let me guess," he said, "you're running away, ain't you?"

Flipping her hair proudly, Guinevere replied with confidence.

"Exactly."

She was about to take her leave but Gusion stepped on her way and with his purple scarf, he used it to corner her and pull her towards him.

"Why? Playing hard to get, mon amour?" he whispered.

Unable to tolerate his arrogance and stupidity, Guinevere banged her head on his which made him yelp in pain. She freed herself from him and stepped away.

"Simply call it rejection," she spit before walking away with a victorious smirk on her lips. She had always wanted to do that, to reject him just like how he did to her years ago.

Gusion, recovering from the sudden attack, still ran after her to–you know– make fun of her. He snaked his arm around her waist and leaned close to her.

"Aren't you the one who's head over heels towards me?" he asked, wanting to intimidate her. He knew that ever since they were young, Guinevere always had that special feelings for him. It made him confident.

This time, instead of defending herself, Guinevere decides to have her offense. She held onto his shoulders and leaned closer, almost closing the gap between them which stunned Gusion.

"Is it?" she asked, "But that was before. Feelings change, Gusion, and mine changed."

After saying that with their lips almost touching, she pushed him away and kicked his foot. To completely avoid him, she ran as fast as she could towards the deeper part of the forest. When she felt that Gusion was no longer behind her, she felt so much relieved. Just then, her knees wobbled like a jelly that she fell on the mossy floor of the forest. Her heart was beating fast and her face heated up. Her body was having the late reaction from her encounter with Gusion.

Though her mind kept on telling her to stop loving that stupid fool, her heart just doesn't agree with that thought. It was unfair, that's what she thought.

She knew that Gusion was just taking advantage of her so she decided to stop, especially when he chose Lesley over her. And now that their engagement had been announced, it would be better to leave than to be hurt by him again.

"Why aren't you running away?" he heard his voice again, "Are you expecting me to come after you?"

Shutting her eyes and giving up with his freaking acts, she said, "Please, stop already. Just go away and let me be."

Gusion sat across her and stared at her.

"Why would I let my fiance wander into the dangerous forest?" he asked.

Guinevere just couldn't read what he had in mind. Why did he come after her? Why is he acting weird? He was supposed to be with Lesley around this time yet, why was he here? There was so much questions in her already chaotic mind and yet this man in front of her was causing further turmoil within her.

"Do you think this is funny?" she asked with gritted teeth, "Do you think playing with my feelings is fun?"

She wanted to shout at him, yell at him and even slap him right across his face but she chose to calm herself. She waited for his answer but he just kept his mouth shut. There was no longer reason for her to stay and love him just how she did for almost 10 years.

"This is not funny or fun in any way, Gusion. You already broke me and I hope that is enough for you to stop. If you won't, the affection I hold towards you would change into hatred. That, I assure you."

Gathering herself again, Guinevere stood and passed him by only to feel his clutch on her hand.

"I'm serious, Guin," he said, "I want our engagement to proceed so don't leave."

His sudden change of mind was a shock for her. But whatever his reason was, she did not care.

"Have you ever chased someone before, Gus?" she asked in return, turning her gaze at him. And just as she expected, he shook his head in response.

"If you truly want the engagement, then prove it, work for it," she added before taking off his hold on her hand.

"This time, it won't be me who will chase after you," she stated.

Turning her back on him to leave, she said, "If you could win over me in this pursuit, I'll change my mind."

Guinevere knew how impatient Gusion was. And to convince herself that he truly wanted her, he must win her over and his greatest obstacle would be time. If he's patient enough to pursue her, then she'll hold his hand again and say her vow in front of the altar.

(A/N: The ending is up to your imagination.)