Chapter 23

Deacon and I stole subtle glances as we worked. I pretended I was responding to emails while his sultry voice spoke to client after client. It was tough focusing and anything other than him. I was hyper aware of every noise he made.

I sat on the small couch pressed to the corner of the room with my laptop propped on the even smaller coffee table. Deacon tried insisting I take his desk but that would have just been chaos with how often his phone rings and how each call requires him to look through his desktop.

I made a few calls myself, confirming address changes and directing payment problems to the right place for help.

Deacon stood from his chair immediately gaining my attention. He buttoned his sleeves and threw his suit jacket over his forearm.

"Take lunch with me?" He asked, making his way to my side. He knelt down and pressed a warm lasting kiss to my temple. I closed my eyes and leaned into him with a smile.

"I don't get lunch breaks." I responded, turning my face towards his. "My days are short, I should be off in a half hour." I told him. He gave a gruff sigh. His body smelt of crisp teakwood, I subtly leaned closer to get a better smell of that intoxicating scent.

"I was hoping to con you into attending a business lunch with me." He whispered, leaning his face into my hair and pressing a soft kiss on my neck. I shivered at the tickle of his short facial hair.

"I will never get used to your scent." He mumbled against my skin. I placed my hand on his shoulder and felt my way up to his neck.  Pulling myself toward him, I returned the favor, kissing his neck all the way up to his strong jaw. I could feel his body shiver under my grasp with every kiss. Is this how I felt to him? So easily affected by his touch?

"I was just thinking the same." I whispered a response. He pulled away just enough to catch my gaze before he slowly leaned in capturing my mouth with his. I felt my bottom lip slip between his. Our mouths felt like perfect puzzle pieces, each movement anticipated yet so unexpectedly perfect.

My eyes stayed shut as he pulled away. I felt dazed, almost more than normal. I didn't know if he had done something different, or if my already immense feelings were somehow growing stronger.

"What was that?" I asked, finally opening my eyes to his looking slightly yellow and quite dazed as well.

"Im not sure, it's possible our bond is growing." He didn't seem sure of his answer. I felt a wave of heat fill the deepest part of my abdomen. This was hotter than the normal heated need for Deacon, much hotter.

Another fast wave rolled through me, this time almost making my legs shake. I held onto Deacon tighter as worry tensed my mind. As soon as I clutched onto him the heat quickly faded.

"Ell, what's wrong." Deacon questioned. I shook my head and laughed at the weird pain that subsided so quickly.

"I think I'm just hungry, I haven't eaten all day." I reassured him. He smiled and nodded.

"I'll make it quick and bring something back for you. Arlo and several wolves are on premises, don't leave the building without someone with you." He told me quickly before pressing another kiss to my lips.

He broke away before I could deepen it. As soon as he left my stomach felt overheated and sick all over again.

I quickly finished my work, trying my best to ignore the pain deep in my stomach. just as I was putting my stuff away, ready to head home there was a soft knock before the door opened.

"Ellis, there are some people here that have been eager to meet you. Is now a good time?" I put my bag down and smiled toward Arlo. I nodded and hid my pain effortlessly.