Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I kept glancing back at the dark road behind us, expecting to see something.

"It's okay to be scared." Deacon broke the silence between us. I looked over at him and his white knuckles clasped around the steering wheel.

"I'm not scared." I spoke honestly. I was stressed. He didn't seem convinced.

"I want you to crawl behind my seat, there's a box underneath." He told me while glancing over to me. I nodded and unbuckled my belt. Climbing over the center console i collapsed ungracefully into the back.

I pulled at the box and plopped it on the seat, there was a lock on the front. "Code is 06-22-03." He hollered before swerving around another car. I was halfway done putting it in when I glanced up at him through the rear view mirror.

"My birthday." I whispered, he brought his eyes to mine through the mirror.

"You're my world Elle, when are you going to see that."  His eyes glimmered before they set back to the road. I finished the code and opened the box.

"It's on safety, there's a little notch on the..." I interrupted Deacon before he could start his speech about how to protect myself.

"I know how to shoot." I told him, immediately recognizing the gun as a 9mm. One that looked very similar to what my dad taught us with. I internally thanked him for forcing me to learn. I grabbed the clip and box of bullets before climbing to the front.

"The clips already loaded." Deacon told me. I stuffed the box into my bag anyway. I've seen a enough horror movies to know that the girl  alone in the woods always runs out of bullets.

I slid in the clip and slammed it shut with my palm before cocking it, making sure there was a bullet ready. I felt my heart rate pick up thinking about using it on someone.

"I didn't know you could shoot." Deacon tried changing the subject, probably hearing my heart race.

"Um, my dad wanted us to learn gun safety. Oddly enough we don't own any guns." I was stumbling over my words as I kept looking back to the dark road. I felt Deacons large warm hand clasp over mine, bringing my gaze to him.

"I won't let anything happen to you. I promise." He spoke sincerely.

"Who's gonna make sure nothing happens to you?" I asked him. I hated that I was a weak human. I couldn't protect anyone, not even myself.

"I will be fine, your priority is you." He tried comforting. If it came down to it I wouldn't be able to protect myself over Deacon. I would die for this man beside me.

"The gun will slow an average lycan down, but it won't kill them." He told me, glancing in my direction. I nodded and turned back to the road.

I looked up to see a dark mass in the middle of the road. "Deacon!" I screamed. He slammed on the breaks, throwing an arm across my chest to keep me from flying through the windshield.

As soon as we stopped my door was ripped from its hinges. Deacon climbed out of his window and over the top of the car in a matter of seconds. His dark wolf jumped down from the car. The man that had intended on grabbing me now had half his head in Deacons wolfs mouth.

Deacon shook his head and the sounds of the mans skull collapsing between Deacon's teeth made my stomach turn. I took that time to pull my bag over my shoulder and keep the gun clasped tightly in my grip. Deacon quickly shifted back, now completely naked and covered in blood.

"I can hold them until my pack comes. You need to run Ellis. Two miles down, Calum and his people are waiting for you. Run and don't stop." He growled at me. Now I was scared, not for me but for him. The thought of losing him was filling me with fear. But I knew I had to listen.