Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I woke the next morning to an empty bed. I was grateful, but a huge part of me wanted Deacon at my side. Despite what he had done, I longed to be in his arms. Quickly shaking off the sorrow of his absence, I got out of bed and trudged down the stairs for some coffee.

I was on autopilot as I walked into the kitchen and started the coffee pot. I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I was startled and ended up spilling the coffee grounds.

I quickly turned and saw Sam leaning against the counter. "You scared me." I clutched my heart and grabbed the broom to sweep up my mess. He didn't say anything, he just stared at me as if he were waiting for me to say something.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, dumping the grounds in the trash and restarting the pot of coffee.

"Lenon had something come up, so I took his place as babysitter." he smirked, knowing he was pissing me off. I rolled my eyes, not letting him get a reaction.

"Lenon usually keeps his distance and stays out of sight." I gave him a fake smile and leaned past him to get into the cupboard behind him.

Sam gave me an unsettling look, before giving me a good sniff. I was thoroughly sick of being sniffed.

"You're marked." he whispered. My face turned pink, I tried ignoring his comment as I poured my coffee.

"I thought you were waiting till the end of the summer?" he interrogated. I let out a long sigh before turning to face him fully.

"Your Alpha took it upon himself to make my decision for me. As of last night I'm not allowed to reject him, I have to quit my job, and basically give my whole life away." I gave him a quick grin and sipped my hot drink.

Sams brows creased in confusion. I turned to go back upstairs before I had to rehash the events of last night. Sam quickly grabbed me before I could leave. I turned to him confused by his action.

"Ellis. He's going through a lot right now. Just don't write him off because of this. He's an old Alpha, he grew up in a time where female mates didn't have a choice. This is new territory for him as well. You two are meant to be. Just give it time." he was trying to comfort me but I wasn't at all feeling comfort from his words. I pulled my arm out of his hand.

"I appreciate you trying to help. But your bias for Deacon has me feeling like you only want a Luna, at whatever cost I have to pay." I admitted. His eyes turned dark.

"You think I don't care about your happiness?" he asked, narrowing his eyes. I chuckled at him. Why would Sam care about my happiness?

"We've never got along Sam. The only time you've made an effort to talk to me was when you found out I was your Alphas mate." I walked out of the kitchen and heard him follow me to the dining room.

"Ellis. You have been nothing but bitter towards me. And I understand it was because I took a lot of your sister's time from you. But how do you expect me to make an effort when you're consistently shutting me down?" he defended. I rolled my eyes knowing there may have been some resentment.

"Ive never thought bad of you. It's just been difficult to get to know you like I have your parents. But you're my Luna now, and you happen to be my mate's sister. So at this point, I won't let how you treat me affect how I protect you and want the best for you." his eyes were genuine. I reluctantly nodded, understanding our situation.

"I get what your saying, but your controlling, dismissive behavior hasn't helped the situation." I sat at the table. He pulled out the chair next to me and sat as well.