chapter 1

Anna's P.O.V

My eyes drooped down in math class, I was bored out of my mind. I always disliked math, and Mr. Price's lectures seemed to always put me in a mood to sleep.

I tried to stifle a yawn, and settled down, daydreaming.

"Hey!" Emily hissed, poking me in the ribs sharply.

"Ow!" I muttered under my breath, rubbing where she had poked me, "What?" I whispered to her, annoyed at being disturbed from my perfect daydream.
"Talk to me after class." She whispered back.

"Why?" I asked, clueless.

"It's your 16th birthday tomorrow Anna, we have to plan something." She sighed and rolled her eyes at me.

Oh yeah, I had almost forgotten.

"Enough of whispering!!" Mr. Price shouted across the class and Emily straightened up, only to slouch down over the math papers lazily again.

I used to celebrate my birthday before we moved to London. We would always have parties, and my friends would come over. But, her mother could not afford all that, so we just baked a cake and had some takeout. Now, even that wasn't possible, with her working so much.

******

"We are going shopping and we are also watching a movie, that's final," Emily said firmly. We were currently standing outside our lockers, arguing about what to do tomorrow.

"It's my birthday, so I should get to choose," I stated.

"Anna, you always loved shopping, why don't you want to?" Emily sighed.

"It's not that. I still like shopping, going out and all that. But money is just a problem at home and I..."

"Anna, it's your birthday! Come on. When was the last time you did something like this? Just ask your mother for a bit of money, it's your birthday after all." Emily persuaded.

I gave in. "Fine." I sighed, but I couldn't help stop the smile that was coming on my lips.

Emily was right, it was just once, and it was also my birthday.

I reached home just as it started raining. I passed the chippy and I could see Miss James inside, frying some chips. She was a friendly woman, who took care of me when I was little, and my mother was out working. She wore long skirts, high heeled knee boots and exotic looking necklaces that clinked whenever she walked. She gave me a bright smile, which I returned before hurriedly going into my empty house.

******

I walked down the stairs setting down a dirty plate on the sink with a thud. I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples, I was so tired. I tried to quickly wash up the dishes, knowing the mother wouldn't enter the kitchen when she got home. As I scrubbed the dishes, I got the distinct feeling of being watched, I knew I was the only one in my house, so I ignored the feeling. But, as I walked up to my room, the feeling was still there. My eyes darted around the dimly lit flat and I see no one there, no shadow, nothing.
There is no one here, I tried to convince myself. I was probably going crazy, living alone all the time.

I was just being paranoid.

Right?