Chapter One: White Lady

"Oi! Naruto, did you hear?"

       Naruto curiously turned towards Choji who happily munched on his potato chips. "Hear what?" The blonde replied as they waited for their teacher, Iruka to arrive and start class.

         "That the white lady is back. Ino said she saw her at the forest."

      Shikamaru scoffed as he sat beside the big-boned kid. "As if you believe that... There's no such thing." He said, flopping down on his chair with a palm against his cheek.

       "But it's true!" Ino bellowed behind them, glaring harshly at Shikamaru. "Ninja shouldn't believe in superstitions like that." Shikamaru defended.

        "So what did it look like? Is it scary?" Naruto butted in. Ino's eyes widened in relief as she happily indulged her listeners.

       "It was past sunset when I went for a walk but then.." She paused dramatically. "You'd never believe it. In the tree line of the forest where genins train, was a woman in white.

          She looked pale, and her eyes were sunken. Her hair was dark, but not quite black, almost like a deep blue. But what was scary was the blood, dripping down her arms, her legs, down to her blood stained white dress."

       With Ino's serious story telling and hand movements almost the entire class were hooked to her ghost story.

         "Then her neck made this snapping sound, her big scary eyes looked at me, and I swear the little hairs in my arms stood up and I felt a chill run up my spine.

      The way she stared at me with her bloody red eyes was like she was going to eat me alive. I can't forget those eyes, ever."

        "What did her eyes look like?" Asked Kiba, who seemed very interested in the ghost story and wanted to check it out in the back of his mind.

        Ino took a deep breath to make it all seem more dramatic.

         "Red. Burning bright red, like fire."

     Just then Sakura cut in but instead of contradicting what Ino had told everyone she said, "Legend has it, that the white lady was a woman who lost her child and now haunts the village and when she sees a child wander into the forest, she takes them. And they are never seen again."

       A cold chill swept across the room. "So, does legend also say who the ghost is?" Shikamaru asked out of sarcasm and spite. He didn't believe a single word that spewed out of the mouth of the two girls.

     Besides, for the record there have been no children that went missing for years.

     "According to legend, she was a mother who got caught in the fires of war, and that's how she lost her baby, or that she was someone important and was assassinated because of her husband, the first theory is that she's a nameless woman." Ino explained with a shrug.

       "And the second?" Shino asked the two storytellers. He'd been quite curious since he heard the story circulating around his family for quite some time.

         "In the second theory, her name was Arien Uchiha, it-" Sakura jumped in the middle of her explanation as everyone's eyes snapped to Sasuke, who slammed his hands harshly on his table.

       Sakura gulped when his onyx eyes glared at her coldly. "Don't say that name so casually and soil it." He spat. Sakura nodded as everyone dispersed to their own seats.

       The silence the Uchiha had caused became a tense atmosphere before Naruto could retort to Sasuke, Iruka walked into the classroom.

     He blinked twice in disbelief, it was a miracle that his bunch of rowdy students were quiet first thing in the morning. Just like that, class went on.