Chapter 5: His Precious

'I don't know if it's madness or desperation but it's quite ironic...'

Sarutobi hummed, dust blew out from the top of wooden chest. Kakashi and his students and the twins were in the Hokage's quarters.

It was a room tucked away far underground in that hallowed building filled with things forgotten by time and sat where dust collected.

It was stuffy and cramped, the only source of light was the flickering lamp light. Carved on the chest was the symbol of the Senju, proud and bold.

'That the record of the account of Lady Arien and Madara Uchiha's love story would be kept by you, Lord Second.'

The Third Hokage opened the wooden chest whose paint has chipped away, the iron handle had been eaten by rust. Inside the lid of the chest was engraved, 'Property of Senju Tobirama'

It was locked with a ninjutsu that was pioneered by the Second Hokage but Sarutobi was able to unlock it, after all Tobirama's last words to him was all about that keepsake he kept in that chest.

Tobirama's treasure.

Inside it was the book they were looking for. It hadn't been decayed by time, protected by a preservation jutsu. It's hard cover was covered in deep red leather, the title gilded in gold.

Roses are Red

The words stood out so prominently and brightly. The edge of the pages of the closed book was painted with red roses and thorns climbing over each other.

The only other thing inside the box was a dozen vinyl records all kept together previously.

Sarutobi carefully picked up the book and dusted it with his old wrinkled hands. It was clear how carefully the items were kept and Sarutobi felt some kind of sympathy for his teacher who went as far as casting a preservation jutsu to protect the items that weren't even his in the first place.

"This is passed down to me by the Second Hokage. I'll let you borrow it for the sake of your mission but it must be returned in pristine condition." He was firm with the conditions.

"Of course Lord Hokage. By the way, those tapes, can we borrow them too?" Endara was shameless or rather than that she was bold and reckless.

Once again with her charming smile like blooming spring flowers she asked for something. It was a smile akin to a weapon.

Sarutobi thought for a moment, eyes squinting as he was attacked by the child's smile. For some reason she reminded him of someone.

Curly black hair, glossy and shiny even with only the light of a fire. Pinkish plump cheeks and a tall nose. Dimples on both cheeks as she smiled.

"Well, I'd like to listen to some old songs." Sarutobi replied in a raspy voice. The children cheered, voices bouncing of the walls. They stepped out first leaving Kakashi and Sarutobi to follow suit.

"Remember what I told you, Kakashi." Sarutobi said, closing the wooden box as he trudged out of the room. Kakashi remembered.

"This mission is strange. Pay close attention to the things you discover and if possible, keep what you learn to yourselves. Tell your students as well."

The Third Hokage's back was turned to him. The clouds outside the window were slowly turning an ash grey colour.

"Lord Third, may I ask. Why team seven?"