Chapter 6: Fateful Encounters

A/n: Accordingly, Hiruzen Sarutobi died at age 68 or 69, but for the sake of this story he's born five years earlier than that. He's roughly 74 years old in this chapter. I forgot to mention, the present chapters are a few months before the Chunin Exams.

        It was cozy, for the most part. Endara picked a random vinyl and had it played as they proceeded to read the book but there was a problem.

       It was written in a language no one understood. Sakura paused, finger tips brushed over the handwritten letters. "What are these characters?"

      "What's wrong?" Asked Endara, her innocent voice ringing out like charming bells. Arima shook his head and pulled the book closer as he flipped to the back. It was weird, but the authors name was signed clearly on the corner of the last page.

      Rayie Fahlen

       "Well, it shouldn't be wrong to assume that this is a dead language. We could try looking for a translator." Kakashi said, baffled by the characters he'd never seen before.

      "Fahlen?" Asked Naruto, reading the name out loud. Then, with his blue eyes wide open he turned to the Third Hokage. "Gramps, aren't you old? Do you know something?"

      The old man chuckled as he leaned back on the wooden chair he sat on. He reached for the book and gently turned to the third page.

       "Well, I do. But only something an old man knows."

        "Lord Third, can you tell us the stories of an old man?" Endara spoke up, smiling sweetly still. Sarutobi smiled and then asked them a question.

      "Have you ever heard of the Fahlen before?"

      There was a moment of silence before the pink haired kunoichi answered. "Never." Naruto nodded and Sasuke whispered, "I've never heard of them too."

      "What about you Kakashi?"

      "I don't have a clue either, Lord Hokage."

      Silence followed suit was once more. Sarutobi waited for the twins to speak up, subtly observing them. But until the end, they just sat there fascinated by the book.

      "Hmm, then. Would you like to listen to a story?"

       Sarutobi was uneasy.

       He didn't know for what reason the First Hokage tried to erase and bury everything about the Fahlen. But what worried him more was that it was something Hashirama Senju and Madara Uchiha accomplished together.

      The only feat in the world aside from the creation of Konohagakure.

       So on that day, he was shaken by the arrival of two children no older than his own grandchild asking about an unspoken secret that only he and those who lived in the time of the First Hokage were aware of.

     And even then, people like Hiruzen Sarutobi who lived long enough didn't know everything.

      "I don't know much, so I'll tell you children only what I remember.