Chapter 13: Flower Filled Garden

(1 year before Naruto's birth. Obito Uchiha age 13, a few months after being 'rescued' by Madara.)

That Would Be Enough lyrics
- by Lin-Manuel Miranda

       "You're being weird again." Obito said as he laid on the bed, limbs laid out like a starfish. It'd been three days after a book, a portrait and some other things mysteriously popped up in their little stone abode.

       The old man didn't react and continued to stare at the portrait.

       "Geez, I get it. The woman in the portrait is unbelievably beautiful. But do you have to do that like it's the first time you've seen a portrait?"

        Again, no response.

      Until, he shifted. Madara, in his old age, began to laugh at all the things he had done. 'I'm dying. Perhaps I should've died sooner.' Then the ghost of the Uchiha changes his mind.

        'No. I must set things right.'

      He watched the young boy he had saved play with white Zetsu. Albeit heavily injured and just past a tragedy where everyone he knew and loved thought he was dead, the boy could still smile and play.

       'He still has the energy to joke around.'

Look around,
look around at how lucky we are
To be alive right now
Look around, look around

        "Madara."

Look around, look around
Look at where you are
Look at where you started
The fact that you're alive is a miracle

       An image flashed in his mind's eye, and the sweet, familiar sound of her voice calling out his name deluded him like a hallucination.

         "Mads."

       His eyes were hazy, the figure of her blurry. Her distinct red eyes were covered, she had a bright smile on her face.

        It was a blur.

I don't pretend to know
The challenges you're facing
The worlds you keep erasing and creating in your mind
But I'm not afraid
I know who I married
So long as you come home at the end of the day

        "Madara." This time, it was clear. As that day, the memory playing over and over.

        She wore a white dress reaching past her ankles and soft, flat shoes she often didn't wear in favor of heels. Her curly hair fell past her shoulders, the colour the same as the deep night with stars embedded into skies. Glittering, shining.

         She was beautiful like he couldn't believe.

       'And she's mine.'

       A glowing skin, supple and healthy with a lovely glow and her eyes. Arien's red eyes. Clear and deep.

        He'd just crossed the gate, dropping the bag he held to the ground. The thud of the objects didn't matter. Her hand on her stomach made his heart flutter.

You should have told me
I'm not sorry
I knew you'd fight until the war was won (the war's not done)
But you deserve a chance to meet your son

        "Welcome home."

         There she stood, smiling and waiting for him. Carrying his son.

Just stay alive, that would be enough
And if this child
Shares a fraction of your smile
Or a fragment of your mind
Look out world
That would be enough

       "Who do you think he'll take after more?" She asked with a giddy smile, leaning back on the chair as he caressed her pregnant stomach. "I hope he takes after you."

       She giggled, their eyes meeting.

       "An Uchiha with my temperament is gonna be the end of the world."

        He softly kissed her cloth covered belly. "And a Fahlen with my temperament would do the same."

That would be enough
We don't need a legacy
We don't need money

       "It really doesn't matter to me if he grows to be some great shinobi. All I want is for our child to be able to be happy without a care. To run around this village laughing and playing with his friends. He could be anything he wants to be and I'll make sure he doesn't have the childhood I did."

If I could grant you peace of mind
If you could let me inside your heart

        "Isn't that why we built Konoha in the first place? Don't worry Madara, I'll be by your side always. We'll live our dreams together."

Oh, let me be a part of the narrative
In the story, they will write someday
Let this moment be the first chapter
Where you decide to stay

        "Stay with me."

And I could be enough
And we could be enough
That would be enough

         But it was never enough, for a man who could never be satisfied.