Chapter 11: That Makes Three of Us

Roses are Red

"We were just children then and all the adults said we didn't know any better but they too didn't have a clue."

At the time, it was a bliss that they didn't know each other's names. Uchiha and Senju, a forlorn friendship one could call much more tragic than star crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet.

"Hey, you're late." The sweet voice called out, standing in the middle of the field of flowers they first found her. Her curled hair tumbling and dancing as the wind blew and the dark colour of the night seemed lighter like a lake at moonlight. The sparkling stars seemed to twinkle as her hair moved.

"Ask him! It's his fault." Madara grumbled, pointing briefly at Hashirama as they ran over and past the wild flowers. Hearing this, Hashirama tripped and flopped down. Pastel coloured petals flew into the air in a flurry.

Once again he was depressed with a dark cloud over his head and he cried, "You're blaming me again! That's not fair! Arien, tell him!"

Instead, a clear charming laughter rang out.

This broke him out of his trance and he too smiled at the sound of such an infectious laugh. Like bells and sunshine in a paradise. That's when, Hashirama looked up through his straight cut bangs, and noticed his friend and rival.

Madara.

Starstruck, dazed and gazing at her with a twinkle in his eyes as if he were a man that had never seen the sun and one day saw every beautiful thing thriving with the sunshine.

Like he'd just discovered his world.

His crass, short tempered friend who couldn't shut up was speechless and caught up in the sound of her laughter.

"Well, that's fine. I'm glad you guys came here."

Madara blinked and then it seemed the world began to turn again. "Yeah. Why wouldn't we?" He spat out sarcastically and crossed his arms. At the corner of his eyes he noticed a soft, peach colored cloth spread out on the flat ground and a woven basket. His sharp nose picked up the scent of meat and cheese.

"What's that?" He asked although he knew that it was obviously food.

"Uh, food? What do you think? It's a picnic basket." The way she giggled and skipped over to the blanket resembled a rabbit.

'Picnic?'

"Picnic? What's that?" He asked genuinely curious. He'd never heard of a food named so before. Hashirama echoed his question as they both followed her. That's when she looked at them as if they'd asked her a ridiculous question.

Brows scrunched together, eyes asking and lips pouted. "What do you mean what's that? A picnic. You know, when you pack food and find a quiet, pretty place outside and eat?"

Madara blanched and yet but his tongue to keep quiet. Hashirama looked down, tears began to form at the edge of his eyes. The shinobi boys both thought of the same thing.

'If we ever did that, we'd be dead. How could we even dream of eating leisurely looking at flowers and laughing? We'd never get the chance.'

"We never had that luxury." Madara said coldly. 'Unlike you.' He didn't dare dream of it nor take another step forward to lost in his thoughts of all the times they had to ignore hunger to flee from the enemy.

Oh how they'd envied her.

Madara was surprised, almost pulling his hand back when he felt her warm touch. Hashirama looked up to see her eyes, clear, red and beautiful without an ounce of pity. It made him feel better.