chapter twenty-one

NOW THAT THE ice had been broken between Jackie and Regulus, their relationship, if you could call it that, took a much more normal route

....NOW THAT THE ice had been broken between Jackie and Regulus, their relationship, if you could call it that, took a much more normal route.

They spent time together because they both genuinely wanted to, and not just because Regulus wouldn't leave her alone like before. He walked her to classes, they studied together at night and she gave him special smiles that no one else got.

Jackie had thought that she would never lower herself to being caught stuck in a broom cupboard, kissing a boy way past curfew, but she found Regulus could be very persuasive. Needless to say, when Lily and James had pulled open that particular closet door while on their prefect rounds and found the two most unlikely candidates stuck inside, they had been shocked. Well. James definitely looked horrified but Lily had given Jackie a high five before sending them on their way.

Jackie wasn't exactly sure what the two of them were. It was certainly nowhere near a boyfriend and girlfriend dynamic but it was most definitely a more-than-friends feeling. Jackie found she preferred it this way, without expectations. It weren't like they were committed to each other. Well, she knew that for a fact Regulus wasn't fooling around with any other girls when she wasn't around, but that was just Regulus. And as Benny had pointed out, he was never apart from her long enough to even have time for another woman.

She thought of all these things as she sat across from him at the mahogany table that they were studying at in the back of the library.

Elizabeth had called her a swot for starting O.W.L revision months in preparation for the thing. In fact Regulus was the only person that she knew, aside from Remus who actually wanted to study with her.

She was broken from her thoughts abruptly with the sound of a question from him.

"What going on in that head of yours?" Regulus sighed, setting his pen down and looking up at her questioningly, his intense eyes boring into hers.

Jackie jumped slightly at the sudden disruption to the silence. "Nothing. Err..Arithmancy." She told him, tapping the notes in front of her.

Regulus raised a dubious eyebrow in her direction at that. "You've been staring at me like a particularly difficult equation for the past ten minutes." He told her, matter of factly.