chapter thirty-nine

THE MOVING-IN process paired with three inconsolable bookworms was a recipe for disaster

....THE MOVING-IN process paired with three inconsolable bookworms was a recipe for disaster. And Jackie hadn't even realized this problem until the time had arrived.

Jackie, Benny, Lily and Remus had stepped off the Hogwarts Express (this being a rather tear-filled moment for Lily) and had set off to find a taxi that would take them straight into London. The cab driver had looked considerably apprehensive when he caught a glimpse of the white snowy owl in the cage that Jackie was nursing on her lap.

When they finally made it to the flat building in a dingy back alley on the outskirts of London, they cheerily put Feather-light Charms on their luggage and easily pulled the trunks up several flights of stairs. Inside their pokey living arrangements were an assortment of mismatched furniture and clumsily built storage spaces.

But Lily, the wonderful witch that she was, had used her signature eye for detail and transformed the place into somewhere cosy and surprisingly livable by the time lunch had rolled around.

Now all that was left to do was fit the combined number of books that the three of them had collected over the years into the world's tiniest flat.

Benny had constructed the bookshelves herself, thoroughly offended when Remus had offered to do it instead. She had even managed to call him a "scrawny little twat" before Lily had stepped in and told Benny that the job was all hers.

Since then, Benny had placed her grand collection of three whole books onto the shelves (all gifted to her by Jackie and all completely unread) and had left the others to their own devices.

Remus had paled at the idea of sharing his beautifully kept books with anyone and had taken them into his room, set to organize them in the meticulous filing system that he had created.

And so, two were left. Currently, Jackie and Lily were sitting on the living room floor, arguing over anything written by Jane Austen.

"Jackie. For the love of God, you do not need two copies of the exact same book." Lily chastised, trying to grab for the two books clutched against Jackie's chest.