CHAPTER 14

Today was the day I was going to tell Mehluko about my gift. It was now or never. I was sweating and I couldn’t come up with an idea on how I am going to tell him. I was still seeing scenarios where he dumped me because of my outburst. I was really stressed, I am not kidding.

I got dressed in a blue denim skinny dungaree with a tan turtleneck and tan pencil heels. I tied my braids in a neat bun. I figured if I was going to get dumped, I might get dumped while looking classy so that I won’t look like a Phara when I start crying. I took my stuff and headed out. I drove to the restaurant where we were meeting at.

When I got there. I checked if my lipstick was still in place and if my bun was still okay. I then climbed off the car and went inside the restaurant with my head held up high even though my heart was beating out of my chest. He saw me and smiled. He met me halfway and hugged me tightly.

Mehluko: “you look so beautiful baby.” I blushed.
Me: “thank you.” he led us to our table and we sat down.
Mehluko: “I have already ordered for us and don’t worry I ordered your favorite.” I chuckled.

Me: “what is my favorite?”
Mehluko: “quarter grilled chicken with large chips, Greek salad with white dressing and a fruit cocktail drink.” I giggled and looked at him.
Me: “the accuracy man.” he chuckled.

Mehluko: “I know a lot about you. I also know that you don’t know my favourite meal.”
Me: “lies.”
Mehluko: “what is it?”
Me: “reverse sear steak or a caprese steak with an egg, tomato and that leaf thing topping.” He laughed.

Mehluko: “those are both my favorites. I guess you do know a little about me after all.” I smiled. They brought our food with our drinks. The food looked so delicious and inviting. I dived in immediately. The sauce on the chicken was doing the things. I moaned lightly and Mehluko looked at me in amusement. “How I wish I was that chicken.” I giggled and took a sip on my drink.

Me: “there is something that I have to tell you.” he looked at me.
Mehluko: “seems serious. Out with it.” I smiled nervously.
Me: “when we finish eating.”

Mehluko: “okay.” We talked about a lot of things, mostly meaningless things, until we finished our meal. He settled the bill and we moved to the terrace where we had more drinks. I was now drinking just white wine and he was drinking beer.

Me: “so what I am about to tell you may sound bizarre but it’s the truth and please don’t mock it or think that I am joking because I am not.”
Mehluko: “okay then. Talk to your man baby.”

Me: “years ago, my great-great grandmother lived in our village. She was the second wife of my great-great grandfather. She had a rare gift that made her stand out from the whole village. She had the power to mind communicate with snakes. When people found out about her gift, they accused her of witchcraft and threatened to kill her.”

Mehluko: “that’s horrible.”
Me: “yeah it was. Some of the threats were physical because they beat her up so many times. Her snake friends retaliated and in turn bit and killed villagers. The villagers thought that she was the one who sent the snakes so they killed her. Years and years later the gift was passed on to me.” he cleared his throat.

Mehluko: “what are you saying to me Sibekezelo?”
Me: “I am the Snake Whisperer of our generation.”