CHAPTER 26

ELLEN
We had searched almost every mental institution in the province and we still couldn’t find her. I was not losing hope but this was tiring. It had been three weeks since her disappearance and I was getting worried every single day.

Azee had hired a private investigator and he was promising. His first lead was the guy who was not wearing a uniform in the video. He suspected that he knew something about Zelo's disappearance so that’s where he was going to start.

I was sitting in the lounge feeding Bel. She was a little grumpy these days. She missed Zelo. Sometimes you would catch her saying Lelo or find her in Zelo's room just sitting in her rug. I heard the front door opening and moments later I saw Mehluko who looked like an angry lion.

Mehluko: “why didn’t you tell me about Sibekezelo Ellen?” he was breathing fire. Where did he find out about her disappearance.
Me: “what are you talking about?”

Mehluko: “don't bullshit me. Why didn't you tell me? I could be out there looking for her instead of letting a stranger take charge of her search.”
Me: “hey you dumped her and said all mean things to her. I didn't think you cared if she lived or died.”

Mehluko: “I was shocked Ellen. Fine I overreacted but any other black person in my position would've reacted the same way. I even researched about her gift so that I could understand it more and I found a doctor who knew more about it and was happy to explain everything about it. She may help us when we find Zelo.” I sighed.

Me: “sit down.” He sat down. “there was this guy who was interested in her but she didn't trust him and even give him a chance or even go out on a date with him. His name is Luhlelo. I think he may have taken a picture or video where Zelo was with her snake friends and sent it to the authorities or a mental institution. We just don't know which one and in which province.” He sighed and scratched his head.

Mehluko: “what are his full names?”
Me: “well he is following me on Instagram, so let's check.” I took my phone and browsed through mutual followers I had with Zelo. I saw his information and then screenshotted it. I sent it to Mehluko.

Mehluko: “I will get a hacker to hack into his phone and also find out who he sent the evidence to. I know I will have more information by tomorrow morning. Get Advocate Nomalanga Biyela from Durban. We won't only rescue Zelo but we will take legal action against this institution.”

“Firstly for breaking and entering your property without a warrant. For taking Zelo without informing you or anyone else. For negligence of leaving Mabel unattended. When we are done with this Luhlelo guy and this institution, they will be nothing but the thing of the past.” He then headed out.

I was done feeding Bel, so I took her dish to the kitchen. I then went to take her and clean her up. She smiled.

Bel: “Lelo.” I smiled at her.
Me: “she is coming home soon baby. Just hold on.” She nodded as if she could understand what I was saying. How I wished to be her at times. With no care whatsoever. Just eating, playing and sleeping.

--
I searched for Advocate Biyela's contacts in the net. Turned out she had a law firm with three branches nationally. She was one of the baddest female attorneys in SA. Luckily I got her personal number so I called her. She answered after a few rings.

Noma: “Nomalanga speaking, hello?”
Me: “evening. I am Ellen from Joburg.”
Noma: “oww Ellen from Joburg, how may I help you?”

Me: “I need legal representation. It's a matter of life and death.”
Noma: “oww it always is honey. So how about you make an appointment with my PA and we can take things from there?”

Me: “this can't wait. My helper was taken to a mental institution by some nurses we don't know. Firstly they broke into my house and took her, leaving my two year old daughter all alone and unattended. Secondly we don't know where she is. We weren't informed about anything. It's like they kidnapped her.” She sighed and kept quiet for a while. I even looked at the screen to check if she hadn't hang up. She then released a harsh breath and cleared her throat.

Noma: “I will be there by tomorrow midday. Organize accommodation and plane tickets for me. Make sure they are first class. I need to be in a relaxed atmosphere before I can tackle such a stressful matter like yours.”

Me: “oww thank you. Thank you so much.”
Noma: “see you soon Ellen from Joburg.” She then hang up.

I breathed out in relief. At least now there was hope. Mehluko was my hope in finding Zelo and Advocate Noma was my hope in getting justice for Zelo. I just hoped we would find her unharmed and I prayed that she didn't think we abandoned her or something.