This Forsaken World Chapter 13

Sergeant Victor Grimm

Suzy regained her footing and backed up to stand with the alien soldiers. She slowly smiled as they surrounded her, keeping there attention on me and ignoring her for the moment.

"You were a mole to draw out more survivors, weren't you?" I snapped in anger, scanning my surroundings to figure out the best way to fight back or avoid the enemy. While my shotgun and her discarded pistol were nearby, the aliens would blast me the second I went for them. I still had two grenades but going for those would also inspire a swift death. I struggled to come up with something, anything, to survive.

"Yep, you see, they promise to turn us if we help them. You have no idea what an honor that is." The smile seemed to spread even more on Suzy's face and it really got under my skin.

"So you don't mind betraying your own species to help aliens who plan on enslaving us? This turning, is it really worth it? What would you become?" I white knuckled the knife as I waited for the inevitable.

Just as the woman was about to reply, one of the enemy soldiers removed his face mask and gripped her throat, dragging her close.

"You fool...your not worthy of anything more than livestock." The man's skin was milky white as though he'd never had the sun touch him once in his entire life. Blood red eyes blazed like ruby's and his long fingernails cut into the woman's throat. His head might have been shaved except there was no evidence of hair growth at all, as though it was a natural thing.

Turning to smile at me, long canines glistening, he lifted the woman one handed and buried his fangs into her jugular. Trying to call out, the woman kicked her feet and whimpered until the alien had sucked enough blood she went limp.

Wiping some of the crimson liquid on his bodysuit, the man tossed the woman aside, the body hitting the ground with the cracking of bone as the right leg twisted in the wrong direction.

Just as the enemy soldiers were about to advance on my position, a loud growl resonated nearby followed by the powerful revving of an engine. The plastic exhibit windows shook and the aliens looked around in confusion.

All I could do was thank Hank in my head as I used the distraction to my advantage. While I'd run multiple options, I decided the grenades were the best approach, they would do the most damage and they had a chance of hitting multiple enemies at one time. Using both thumbs to pull the pins, I chucked them underhanded to either side of the group.

An ear splitting explosion filled the chamber as the grenades exploded. Body parts flew in every direction or splattered into the wall and I dove for cover into the supply closet.

After several moments I stuck my head back out and grinned as Hank walked out of the garage. Scooping up my weapons and adding the pistol to my arsenal, I left the closet and marveled at the destruction.

"Well, that's one way to do it. Good job trooper." The grizzled vet said, slapping me on the back and walking over to the crater. I was surprised the entire area hadn't collapsed, this museum was built from sturdy stuff.

From the appearance, it looked like I'd placed the explosives in the right spot as there were no surviving aliens. Toeing a more or less intact corpse, I flipped it over and aimed my shotgun at the head, examining it closely for any life signs. Satisfied, I moved to stand near the Staff Sergeant.

"Suzy betrayed us. She was an operative leading us into an ambush. She said something about being turned before they killed her. I'm thinking those fanatics have no idea what there in for when the aliens have no use for them." I watched a wave of emotions wash over the gruff soldier before anger won out.