This Forsaken World Chapter 18

Commander Devin Crowe

As I approached the entrance to the flight deck I stopped to grab an oxygen mask from the rack in the hallway. Once the mask was secured I cycled the pressure door and waited for a green light to open it. Stepping through I sighed in relief at something familiar to me, the sight of dozens of AFS-1 fighters being repaired and re-armed.

Aviation mechanics, technicians and ordnance personnel were prepping the spaceships for combat, the task made that much harder after all the damage we'd sustained during the fight in Earth's orbit.

I noted my squad-mates were gathered around a table by the squadron equipment lockers. As usual Sledge was there and I had to note it was funny how he spent more time with us then his own bomber unit. I moved to join everyone and was greeted with warm smiles and friendly claps on the back or shoulders.

"Welcome back boss." Angel said, leaning back against one of the lockers and giving me a grin. The rest of the group seemed to perk up at my appearance Sledge in particular was the most excited to see me.

"What took you so long? I was getting gray hair waiting for you."The large man stated, crossing his well muscled arms over his chest, the action making him seem intimidating and emotionless. I knew better, Sledge was one of the nicest guys I'd ever met, he just didn't show it openly.

"I hate to break this to you big guy but you already had gray hair. Getting old sucks doesn't it ya old geezer?" Angel said teasingly.

"Hey who you calling old?! I'm still young enough to whip all ya young-lings." Sledge growled, attempting to spear the red head with a menacing glare. The look seemed to utterly fail as she started to laugh. "Anytime, anywhere, bring it!" Angel giggled.

"Alright enough we've got some work to do here. Jewel, I got permission to give you a battlefield commission, your now a Commander and in my absence your the squadron leader." As she was about to protest I held a hand up. "I don't want to hear it, I was assigned as the X.O. Of this boat, you think I was happy with that?! You got it easy." I growled and she backed down, resuming her position against the lockers and staring at the ground.

"Right, next order of business we are being assigned as the rear guard. Our orders are to be combat ready to engage any enemy ships that approach us. Sledge as usual your squadron is being attached to ours, guess I can't get rid of you no matter how many times I complain." I cast a glance at the bomber pilot and he nodded his head in confirmation.

"Hey boss what happened with that hot little vampire chick you caught?" Raptor asked, shifting uncomfortably as I turned my gaze on him. "She's being held in my quarters for questioning. If any of you say anything inappropriate I am going to kick your ass here and now." Raptor almost visibly flinched at that and took a step back.

"Now that everything is out of the way, how we doing?" I indicated the fighters being repaired nearby.

Doom stepped forward and waved Vixie over. The squadron crew chief jogged over and gave me a brief salute. "What's up?" She asked, using a small rag on her belt to wipe grease from her hands.

"What's the status of our combat readiness?" Doom asked, placing his hands on his hips. I turned towards the pilot and shook my head.

"I could have done that, I didn't want to bother her you numbskull." I snapped. Everyone burst out laughing at this as Doom's face turned red and he shifted uncomfortably in place.

Vixie giggled before responding. "We've got five combat ready and re-armed. We're still working on loading ordnance for the sixth. As far as repairs go six out of our eleven are cleared for action. I do hope if you take your fighter out you don't bring it back stuck together with an enemy ship, we had to pry them apart, took us almost two hours. We did manage to study the alien fighter though and we discovered a lot of interesting things." The mechanic rummaged through her jumpsuit pouches before pulling out a pack of cigarettes and lighting one to smoke.