This Forsaken World Chapter 36

Commander Devin Crowe

The Nocturnal hunter was one of the tallest vampire's I had yet to see. Wearing a jet black skin tight leather bodysuit the warrior was truly impressive with rippling muscles. His face was hidden behind a mask made from human flesh, blood still trickling slowly from beneath it. I could only assume the hunter had taken his trophy from one of my rescue team members down the hall.

A four foot chain with serrated edges was gripped in his right hand, the end sitting on the ground by his leg. In his left hand he was holding a long rod of rusted metal with razor sharp points on both tips.

The mind broken spread out behind him was composed of survivors from the battleship crew and they each had various surgical attachments to augment there combat abilities.

Sally stepped up to my side as we squared off against the enemy hunting pack and I glanced to the side, giving her a soft smile. The vampiress returned the gesture, her eyes full of love and it made me steel myself for the battle ahead, having something to live for.

"Sallyskavesska, you are a traitor to your kind and it will be my pleasure to present your head to our liege lord. Prepare yourself, I want to enjoy this." The hunter turned his blood red gaze on me and tilted his head like a curious cat sizing up it's prey.

"You, human, you must be the master to the betrayer. A bounty has been placed on your head, six of the finest female slaves in the Nocturnal fleet for proof of your death, eight females if your brought in alive. I claim the right to fight you myself for such a prize." Looking over his shoulder the vampire said something I didn't understand in his language and nodded towards Sally.

The three mind-broken pushed past there leader and started towards my lover and I snarled in rage. The biggest downfall to our current combat zone was how close quarters it was. We were fighting in a tight hallway on board a star-ship, the three human berserk-ers were brushing shoulders attempting to stand side by side and I wasn't sure what they were hoping to accomplish.

The sound of metal on metal caught my attention and I barely had time to look to my right as the hunter burst through the wall of the hall beside me, gripping my right arm, and pulling me into the adjacent chamber. Cursing I was tossed like a rag-doll across the room I now occupied and all I could hear was Sally calling out my name before she was forced to defend herself.

Standing up unsteadily I shook my head and looked around trying to take in my surroundings. I was now in the Captain's quarters, the entire room a mess with the desk flipped over and the light above me flickering.

Positioned in front of the gaping hole in the hallway the hunter regarded me casually, the chain smacking idly against the floor every few seconds as he snapped his wrist. I'd dropped my shotgun when he'd grabbed me and in the graceful flight I had found myself taking part in I'd lost track of it, only having my combat knife as a backup.

Withdrawing the melee weapon I felt like a fool against such a powerful and obviously superior opponent. Flipping the blade so I was holding it upside down I dropped into a carefully practiced fighters stance and used my free hand to wave him forward.

"Let's get this over with..." I growled. I imagined the man smiling behind his skin mask but the speed at which he moved caught me off guard. While I'd become accustomed to Sally's speed, the hunter seemed almost faster in comparison and I wasn't ready for it.

The chain whip struck me in the lower left thigh and I screamed as the serrated edges cut into my flesh. The vampire followed this with his rod, attempting to thrust one pointed end at my head, and I ducked low. Bringing my combat knife forward I scored a hit across his stomach but the thick leather bodysuit stopped any penetration and I cursed.