This Forsaken World Chapter 39

Former Captain, Victor Grimm (Captive)

The man before me was large and from what I could tell he relied entirely on upper body strength, which I hoped made him slow. My theory was proven as he took one step forward and roared, swinging the large sledge hammer straight down like he was attempting to smash my head in.

Spring boarding off the wall beside me I propelled myself past the man who struggled to recover from his initial attack and kicked out the back of his knee. The crew leader grunted in pain as I skipped backwards to put some distance between us.

I couldn't help feel excited with the situation, I was a warrior and any chance to put my natural talents and skills to the test was enough to get my adrenaline up. I casually tossed the stick to the side and gave the man a feral grin which seemed to give him pause in his next attack.

"What, done already?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest and standing up with pride.

"I'll make you swallow those words along with your tongue you bastard!" The man snarled, spittle spraying from his mouth.

"Really? That's your come back?" I shook my head as everyone around me laughed, the slaves having momentarily stopped there work in order to witness the fight.

Up above me I could see a cluster of vampires making bets on who would win and felt disgusted with myself for entertaining them.

With a growl of anger the big man rushed me once more attempting to swing the sledge hammer to the right, aiming for my rib cage. Stepping to the left I hugged the wall as the construction tool ricocheted off the metal surface and missed me completely.

The weight of the weapon caused the man to stagger forward towards me and I smiled, extending my arm and close lining the fool so he slammed down hard on his back, the sledge hammer sliding away to settle in the middle of the workers.

Staring up at the fat pit boss I shook my head.

"I'm military you fool, he doesn't stand a chance." I called out. The vampire gave me a toothy grin as he pointed at the current crew leader who was attempting to rise to his feet.

"He ain't done yet!" The Nocturnal slave master announced.

Turning to face my opponent I took two steps back to allow him time to stand up and dropped into a fighters crouch. Extending a hand I opened my palm and beckoned him forward in challenge.

"Bring it..." I whispered just loud enough for him to hear me.

Bellowing like an enraged animal the crew leader ignored his lost weapon and charged head first towards me with his arms extended, apparently planning on grabbing onto me and using his superior size and strength to do some damage.

Waiting for him to fully commit to the attack I side stepped and spun on my heel, my raised leg catching the oncoming crew leader in the gut and causing him to double over and land on the floor. Looming over the slave from behind I put him in a choke hold and grabbed onto what little hair he had left, forcing his head up.

"Enough! There are too few humans as it is for us to be killing each other for there sport!" I pointed to the vampires above.

"From now on, we work together! No more killing, we share food and we take care of each other! If anyone doesn't approve, step forward and get ready to face me next." Letting go of the man I was holding I stepped away.

Rubbing his raw throat the large slave rose to his feet once more and turned to face me. His anger was gone and instead I saw respect in his eyes.