Betrothed

(art by @Bearbrickjia on twitter)

It was a shaky agreement. A promise for peace. A chance for humanity's survival. If you could marry this man. 

This monster. 

A few weeks ago, Paradise had hastily made an agreement with Marley that they would remain at peace on the condition of a marriage between a daughter of one of Marley's high houses, and Eren Jaeger. 

Of course no one had wanted to send their daughter overseas to be held hostage by a monster, so as an orphan yourself, held at the 'mercy' of the military, the honor had been bestowed upon you. 

Lady A/n Devine.

What an honor indeed. You thought bitterly as General Magath led you across the ballroom. Crystal chandeliers and fancy tea cakes could not hide the true meaning behind this gathering. The crowd parted as you made your way through. The cold air made your shoulders bristle and whispers made your ears bleed. You knew what they were saying, even if they attempted to hide it. 

"Ms.Devine." A deep voice greeted you. You looked up to see a person with wild red hair, slicked back for the occasion. "What a pleasure to meet you, thank you so much for coming to Paradise." 

"The honor is mine, Commander Hange." You muttered back, urging your voice to remain calm and your knees to remain steady. The people in this ballroom did not need to see how nervous you really were and you doubted the contents of your lunch would compliment the shiny tile floor very nicely. 

"Mhmm." The Commander nodded thoughtfully before turning to a figure who'd appeared behind them. "Ms.Devine, allow me to introduce you to Eren." 

The room went silent as a tall figure stepped into light. His cold green eyes staring lifelessly into yours. His long hair was tied carelessly up in a half knot. You felt your mouth go dry as the name sunk heavy on your tongue. 

"Eren Jaeger..." 

You saw the slightest hint of something cross his eyes. Amusement? Disgust? You felt your gut lurch under the his gaze, a predator staring down their pray.

"A/n Devine." Eren Jaeger murmured coldly. 

His voice was a low rumble, soft and controlled, but enough to rattle your bones and send jitters up your spine. 

"I-I..." Your tongue hung uselessly in your mouth, your eyes wide. Eren Jaeger. His very presences radiated danger, willing every nerve in your body to run. Run with everything you had. 

The Commander and General seemed to notice the terrified look on your face and coughed nervously. "Perhaps you two would like to make your way to the suite to get to know each other more properly?" Hange suggested, more of a command than a request as they noticed the stare of all the other aristocrats in the room. "The MPs can escort you to..." 

"I think I'm more than capable of escorting the lady myself." Eren muttered eerily, his eyes never leaving you. Your body had never felt more hallow as he stalked toward you slowly and took your right hand into his own, his touch cold and calloused, making your skin crawl. "After all," Eren's fingers ran along the smooth silver band around your ring finger. His gaze returned to yours, smirking evilly. "we are betrothed." 

Again, art at the top is by @Bearbrickjia ! Thanks for reading this far! I'm really excited about where this book will go so stay tuned for updates!