Destine (end)

The next morning you ride out with the scouts. The morning is dark and heavy, and so are the expressions on everyone's faces. 

Armin is assigned to keep an eye on you, but you can tell that he has far more important things to be doing as well.

I'll see you soon birdie...

Riding past Eren's old camp makes your hand clench the reigns tighter. You feel a cold sweat lather your spine. 

A scout emerges from the bushes and nods. "The information checks out; the camp has been abandoned. Hoof tracks travel east, they must have gone to the port." 

Hange glances once at you and then grunts and spurs the party onward... toward the dock... toward Eren.

As the ocean comes into view you feel your breathing hasten. You barely even notice when you glance between branches, squinting to see if you can see your ex-husband. You can't, you aren't that close yet. But maybe they're not as far along as you'd thought? Maybe they knew you were coming? Maybe he's right behind you-

"Y/n." 

You nearly fall from your horse when Mikasa appears behind you. 

"Wh-what's up?" You chuckle nervously.

Her cutting, obsidian stare slices right through your attempt at acting normal. 

"Are you okay?" Mikasa deadpans.

You sigh and look down, she'd caught you. You couldn't help but be paranoid about seeing Eren again. You'd just ran away! Was he mad? Would he be spiteful? 

"Y/n..." Mikasa sighs, riding beside you. Her eyes soften. "I know you don't want to see him again. I don't either... But he possesses too much power, it goes unchecked... This is no longer a personal matter..." Her eyes harden. Her voice drops to a whisper and the next words ghost past her lips. "This is war." 

She kicks her horse faster, catching up to Hange at the front of the group and you sigh. 

Easy for her to say. You huff. She was trained for war. 

Your ears go deaf as the party reaches the beach. Your eyes unseeing. Skin unfeeling. For a brief second you wonder if this is justice. Looking up at the drop off into the dunes that so many eldians had been sentenced to their deaths, or to worse. You would never know. Your blood could not be used against you in the way that theirs could. The way that they could be transformed. 

Perhaps it would be justice if Eren killed you here with the rest of the do-gooders who still believed in peace. In freedom. In all that he had been before you'd met. 

Perhaps you had just been part of an elaborate scheme to hold him down. 

Perhaps you would pay for that. 

The plan was for Armin to take them by surprise. It was doubtful that they'd known you'd have gone to the scouts after you ran away. They'd probably guess that you tried to escape the island all together. Or were cowering somewhere, half dead in the woods. 

Armin would transform and hopefully destroy their forces, and Eren in the process. If that fails, the scouts will fall in and take out the last of them. 

A desperate plan. But Paradise is out of options. The world is out of options. 

The entire plan is beheaded on the spot when a tall, blonde-haired woman appears at the top of the wall. Her eyes are dull and black, but there is a twitching smile at the edge of her lip as she greets the approaching forces as guests.