Two Old Friends

You ride until the red light of dawn kisses clouds and the stars fade from view. You don't need to wish on them anymore to keep up hope, it is right in front of you and you are charging toward it. Surging fast on the back of a thundering horse. 

The forest clears up leading into deserted farming land, and there is no mistaking the towering stone wall before you as it comes into view. 

"Wall Maria." You can't help but breathe to yourself. 

Riding past the wall, you see that it is far more worn and rickety than the stories you'd heard growing up had told. Chunks of stone and mortar had crumbled to the ground in some places, and you ride through a missing gap in the wall with plenty of space for four or so companions to ride next to you and still fit through. 

However after passing, the crow above you changes path. Instead of heading deeper inside the wall toward the center city, it reroutes to fly along the wall. 

You scrunch your brows in confusion, but follow your guide nonetheless. 

Nearly half an hour later, you find yourself at the edge of a deserted down. Your gaze scans across the desolate village, scanning for any traces of activity, but the dust coated, half crushed by what you don't dare think of, buildings show no signs of life. 

Your body aches from hours of riding and your eyes are heavy with lack of sleep. You look up once more in search of the crow, but it is gone. 

You blink and look again but find no signs of it. 

Frustration bites at your gut and you drop the reigns in mild defeat. "Damnit!" 

"Get off the horse." 

A cold, emotionless voice catches you off guard. You turn around quickly. Behind you stands a woman with short jet black hair and an even darker stare. Her scarred hands expertly train a long sword toward you threateningly. 

You recognize the Wings of Freedom pinned to her shirt and your eyes widen. You slide slowly off your horse, knees giving way after being cramped from riding for so long. 

But the woman is on you like a hawk. The second your butt hits the ground she is looming over you, sword to your throat without an ounce of hesitation. The look in her eyes scares you. Her black eyes blank and worn like a river stone, she would not be sympathetic, she would not give the benefit of the doubt, she will kill.

"Identify yourself." The woman said shortly.

You gulp dryly, painfully aware of the cold metal against your skin, against your burns. It brought back memories you'd have rather left behind. 

You look up into her face and it unnerves you, not just because she had a weapon aimed for your throat, but because upon a closer look, she reminded you of him

You look away quickly, unnerved by the bizarre parallel. "I-I um..." 

"Mikasa!" You hear a higher pitched voice yell. 

There is a whirling noise and a blond man on ODM gear skids to a stop, landing a ways behind the dark haired woman. 

Mikasa doesn't bother to turn to face her comrade, not moving an inch from where her blade is grazing your throat. 

You eyes flick to the approaching man and as he get's closer, you notice there's something oddly familiar about his face. 

"Armin Arlert?" You blink staring at the boy in front of you. He looks warry and thin from lack of food likely, but you still recognize those whimsical blue eyes as the boy who'd introduce himself to you on the boat, before everything had happened. 

"Y/n?" Armin gasps, his jaw dropping. He stays put beside Mikasa but his ocean eyes scan you, taking in your tatter appearance. 

If you think he looks bad, you can't even imagine what he must think of you now. 

Armin turns to the dark haired woman beside him quickly. "Mikasa, this is the Marleyan they had Eren-" 

"She still can't be trusted." Mikasa mutters coldly, still not moving and inch. Her eyes narrow with hatred at the mention of the name, and you can tell that your association with Eren is clearly not helping, even if you were technically a victim. "She could still be a spy, coerced or otherwise. It's not a risk we can afford to take."

Armin seemed like he wants to say more, but instead he stays put, pursing his lips. 

Mikasa takes this as a sign to continue. "Where are the others?" She snaps icily, taking a step forward and forcing you back in the dust. "Zeke, Yelena, Flotch, Eren, where are they?" Mikasa demands. 

You scramble backward away from her sword blade. 

Suddenly Mikasa freezes. Her eyes zero in on something beside you. 

Armin's eyes widen as well and he takes a step forward. He crouches down beside you, his soft golden hair falling over his gentle blue eyes. "Where did you get this?" Armin whispers, taking a small object in-between his fingers tenderly. 

Mikasa momentarily forgets her guard, lowering her sword as she stares in surprise. 

You look over and see that the clamshell charm with red string had slipped from your pocket in your scrabble to get away from the dark haired woman. Armin stares at the shell, then looks up to you, his eyes softening, a look in his sapphire eyes like a dessert remembering the ocean it once held long ago. 

You purse your lips, watching the two carefully as the words get caught in your throat. It doesn't matter though. 

Armin stands slowly, tucking the charm into his own pocket. He offers his hand to help you up, which you accept after a moment. His touch is gentle, and his skin is surprisingly silky for someone who'd been in the war for so long. 

Mikasa tucks her sword back into it's sheath. Her shoulders remain squared but there is something a bit softer about her gaze now, almost sad. "I'll leave you to deal with it." She murmurs huskily to Armin, her gaze briefly diverting from you before returning once more. 

She regards you once, eyeing you up and down before nodding softly to herself. "You're lucky you made it out..." Mikasa mutters in a quiet voice, sounding no longer like a warrior, and more like a person. A person who'd seen thing. Her eyes drift to the ground before saying, "many do not." Mikasa offers you a small smile before turning back to the wall, her grappling hooks launch with a burst as she takes to the air. "Make sure you keep an eye on her, Armin!" 

Armin nods, staring after his comrade before turning back to you. 

The silence is painful, filled with so many questions and fears, so you say the first thing that comes to mind. 

"I have information."