Say it like Goodbye

Perhaps you really are...

...destine to be his.

Your sleep is a deep, enchanting phase. Curtained by the dark of night with your body cocooned in the strength of Eren's arms. Some say sleep is the border between existence and nonbeing.

Perhaps that is why you aren't sure if it's real or just your foggy imagination when you hear a deep, soft whisper in the night. A hushed voice refusing to give in to the stillness of the dark turned world. 

"I hope you trust me." Eren's deep voice swirls around your foggy night brain. 

You contemplate those words for a moment, or more so the sounds, just background noise to the night, and then your eyes are drifting closed again, seduced back to sleep by the sweet warmth of your bed sheets and the calming emptiness of the dark. 

Eren shifts against you slightly, his glowing green eyes remain open like a cat in the night. He curls tighter into your sleeping form, watching your peaceful sleeping face with adoration, but there is also fear in those emerald eyes. 

"You're going to have to..."

You emerge from your sleeping state to the dew dropped world of morning. The right side of the bed has gone cold and you roll over to see that Eren is gone. You frown, but you are not surprised, as this happens most days. You know he will come back sooner or later though. 

Instead of fretting over Eren's absence, you curl up tighter into your own little pocket of warmth, resting your head into the soft down pillow, which tempts your body back to sleep.

You hear voices outside the tent and quickly recognize one as Eren, the other Zeke most likely by his weird voice. You are almost tempted to leave the warmth of your covers to go great Eren, still feeling warm and jubilant inside from the night before but you stop in your tracks once you hear their words.

"Still no luck I'm afraid..." Zeke mutters softly, sounding greatly apologetic. 

"Are you sure you're trying hard enough?" Eren hisses dangerously, his voice soft but with no less malice. An arrow doesn't need to be loud to cut through the hearts of men. 

"My men have tried every trick in the book, but I'm afraid it's done nothing! We can't change the fact that he's obviously been trained for this." Zeke exclaims frustradedly, clearly putting his all into trying to please his brother. From what you understand Eren is the key part of their mission after all, Zeke and the Jaegerists need his approval more than anything. That's probably the only reason you're even allowed to still be alive. The thought makes you shiver with fear and pride at the same time. 

Eren hums softly in understanding, contemplating this. "Then we must take different measures." 

"You remember what I told you?" Zeke murmurs grimly. 

"Yes." Eren mutters.

There is silence for a moment and you hold still, waiting for the conversation continue. 

When the tent flap bursts open you nearly pee yourself, snapping your eyelids shut to try to make it look like you'd been sleeping the entire time. You didn't understand the context of their conversation, but by the seriousness of their tones you could tell you hadn't been supposed to overhear. 

You listen carefully to Eren cross the room, carefully schooling your expression into that of peaceful sleep. Zeke must have left once the two had finished talking. You follow Eren's footsteps as he crosses the room, stopping right above you. You can feel his presence now, warm and dark, those piercing emerald eyes locked onto you, even though you can't see it yourself. 

You briefly panic, wondering what he's waiting for, and then you feel a soft kiss press against your temple. Gentle enough to not rouse you from your supposed slumber. 

"I love you y/n." Eren's whispers softly against your skin. You want to open your eyes and tell him that you love him too, but there's a certain sadness to his tone that catches you by surprise. 

Before you can react, you hear Eren's footsteps leaving you. The tent flaps snap open and closed, and then you are alone. 

Confused and alone...

You open you eyes slowly, staring after where Eren had gone. 

"Why did you say it like goodbye?" You mutter to yourself softly. 

...

Ahh my tired eyes! Sorry for the short update, I'm thinking that this book probably only has 4-6 chapters left before the end so yeahhhhh...

I'm trying to decide what my next book will be. It will probably star Bakugou from bnha, maybe an xreader book, or BakuDeku, I haven't really decided on the plot lol

Thank you so much for reading this far! Love you all!

-author