17 | That Damn Radio

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

Thena looked at up the stars in the night sky, their ever-slight twinkling tickled her soul gently. For some reason, she appreciated the collection of constellations now that she was further away from them. Maybe this was a testament to the notion that 'the heart grows fonder with distance'.

Her hand was in the grip of Miller right beside her. He was wrapping expertly her bleeding knuckles with some scrap cloth they found in the camp.

"There. Good as new."

Thena inspected her now bandaged hand, turning it over, "You're good at this."

"My dad," Miller started. Thena turned to look at him. "My dad taught me everything I know."

Thena stayed silent, letting Miller tell his story. "He... he's a guard in the ark." He chuckled, "It's quite funny really. A guard with a criminal son."

He continued, "When I got arrested, I thought he'd be so mad at me o-or be disgusted. I thought he'd disown me right then and there but... he wasn't. He was scared."

Miller looked down, "He was absolutely heartbroken. Years of seeing kids like me be floated for the slightest of reasons, he was scared for me. He knew I wouldn't get approved for reevaluation, no one ever did. A-And as a parent, the thought of your only son dying before you..."

He sighed, blinking away the tears in his eyes. "He went to see me before we got placed in the dropship. For the first time in a long time, he had hope. For us to live on the ground. Together. That's why I had hope for this mission. What else could I have if not that?"

Both of their eyes were drawn to the wristband—now deactivated—on his wrist. "Is that why you never took it off?" Thena asked.

He nodded, "I know he's up there watching. Along with other families. I'm luckier than most. Most don't have families waiting for them up there. Down here, they only know one emotion. Anger."

"And you? What do you feel?"

He shrugged, "Like I told you, hope."

Thena stayed silent.

"How about you? Any family waiting for you up there?"

Thena hesitated, "I-I don't know..." Miller looked at her confused.

"My... dad... Well—" Thena exhaled shakily. Miller interrupted, "You don't have to—"