1.0

[1.0]

The Beginning

The Republic City Police Headquarters was one of the most crowded places in the city

The Republic City Police Headquarters was one of the most crowded places in the city. The officers were running around, dropping papers and spilling coffee on the ground. The citizens came in and out through the metal doors of the building, pressing charges or seeking the help of the police.

Rae Akemi was already tired, and it was only 11 in the morning. A long and heavy sigh escaped her red-tinted lips as she sat on a random desk. Her gloved hands covered her ears, trying to block out all the sounds from the station.

"You don't understand, I need to see Deputy-Chief Akemi. She promised me she would help!"

Rae's head rose in a second when she heard her name. At the front desk stood an old woman. Her hands were shaking, and she could see the tears streaming down her face. The woman rose from the desk and walked to the woman.

"It's alright, Eiko," she said to the officer, Eiko, and turned to the woman. Her hands immediately wrapped around her shoulders. "What happened, Ayia?"

The woman only started to cry more, bringing the small handkerchief to her eyes. Rae sighed and took Ayia by the forearm, carefully dragging her to the elevator. When they got to the last floor, Rae opened the metal door to her office and helped the old woman inside.

Once she was sitting on the comfortable armchair, Rae sat down in front of her on the desk, ignoring the papers and pens she sat on. "Nobody can hear you now, Ayia, you can talk freely."

Ayia sniffed a few tears back and finally looked at the young officer. "They took Taiyo away; the Triple Thread Triad took him again. He just disappeared in the middle of the night! I know it was the Triade," she exclaimed before her head fell on Rae's shoulder, crying harder than ever before. The woman tensed when she fell Ayia's tears wet the simple grey shirt she had.

She took her hands from the desk and placed one of the elderly's shoulders. With the other one, she pushed a small button underneath the desk.

"Listen to me closely, Ayia," Rae said, her voice the smoothest it ever been, "I will find your grandson. We don't know if the Triade took him, but I will find him alright?" Ayia nodded slowly. "Now," Rae continued as the door of her office opened, "I will go now, and I need you to stay here with Lieutenant Yoshi until I come back. Alright?"

The woman nodded and rose from the armchair. She muttered a series of thank you to Rae before following the lieutenant out of the office. The door closed and she rose from the desk with yet another sigh. She walked to the small cupboard behind the boxing bag that hung in one of the corners of the room and took a dark shirt. She changed, folding the tear-filled shirt and placing it on the cupboard before she went to put her uniform on.