(9) Shouldn't is Equivalent to No

"You're hurt." I pointed to the dried blood on Rayner's forehead that he was trying to ignore but I knew it hurt.

"It's just a scratch." He turned his head away from me so I couldn't see the cut across his forehead, as if it would convince me it really was nothing. He didn't have to be tough guy all the time. I'm sure it hurt not that he'd ever tell anyone that. I saw his head hit the window with a decent smack and I knew that if it had happened to me I'd be in an ambulance.

"You really should have someone take a look at it. You could have a concussion." I insisted but he just rolled his eyes at me. I didn't want anything bad happening to him just because everyone thought I was a fragile little girl and that he was a tough guy. No one is too tough for medical attention.

"No, I feel fine." He brushed me off. Once we had the insurance worked out we hitched a cab back to the apartment where we did nothing until bed where I was plagued my nightmares that Rayner came to rescue me from. Only tonight he was different.

He tried to keep his distance by leaning away from me against the wall but I pulled him closer. I wanted to be closer, I wanted him to hold me. I needed him right now, I just wanted him to make me feel okay for a little while. I grabbed his arm and wrapped it around me.

"Tori..." He started, so I squeezed his arm. He was a bit hesitant about spooning me, but sighed and gave in. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled the blankets to our chins. He pushed his face into the crook of my neck and planted light kisses along my shoulder.

This took me by great surprise, but I liked it. I sighed contently and allowed him to run his hands under my shirt along the bare skin of my midriff. He drew nonsense with his fingers soothing me to slumber slowly. "We shouldn't be doing this." He whispered. I opened my eyes and turned around to face him reaching up to touch his face.

"Don't..." He protested making me feel very self conscious. I untangled myself from him and turned my back toward him. "Don't be like that." He tried to turn me back around to look at him, but I was burning with embarrassment. I had tried to cross an even greater boundary with this man who was here because he was being paid to be. What was I thinking?

___________________

Vote, Comment, Fan!