Husband duties

Amaira's POV:

I was twisting and turning in bed unable to sleep. I was tired an hour ago and wanted to sleep very badly. Since Jay was awake and has the habit of going to the restroom before sleeping, I waited outside the bedroom for him to be done with his work. It was way past midnight when the lights in his game room went off meaning that he went to sleep. I had waited uselessly for the whole time. After that when I came to sleep, it was already gone. There was not a bit of drowsiness in my eyes to keep it close. I felt active and energetic and far from sleepy.

My mind was preoccupied with all that happened that day. I was too conscious of the things I spoke and if they were decent. Whenever I remembered that I barged inside his bathroom, I felt too embarrassed that I wanted to die. I hit the pillow with my fist repeatedly in hopes of reducing the embarrassment.

I suddenly recalled my plans of buying a dog.

Shit! I should have asked him today when I had the chance. I'm not sure when we would be talking next time. I don't have his phone number so I can't text him too. I just have to wait for another one and half months to speak with him.

I heard a faint knock at the door. I looked at the time and it was one thirty. Did I assume it or was it real? I was not sure. After some time there was a knock, a little louder than before. It can't be anyone other than Jay, but why would he come at this hour?

I got out of my bed and walked towards the door.

"Jay???" I called out to make sure before opening the door.

"Yeah." I heard a hoarse voice.

I opened the door and he looked like he was in pain.

"What happened? Are you sick?" I asked concerned.

"I....want to....use the...." He dragged and pointed behind me.

God this is so embarrassing. Why did I lock the door? I should have known when he didn't go before sleeping. If I was in his position, I would have felt so bad to ask permission for using the bathroom in my own house.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You can go." I made way for him.

While he was in, I contemplated whether to ask him about my plans of buying a dog. I decided to ask, as I was so eager and at the same didn't want to miss the opportunity.

"Jay." I stopped him who was leaving.

Before asking the question I noticed I was calling him casually. He seemed okay with me call him Jay but I wondered if it was too affectionate. Now I can't change it after calling him a few times. I tried remembering how he calls me but couldn't remember anything at all. I don't think he called me at any time. But I also have a feeling like he called me Amaira earlier today.

"Take your time. Remember what you wanted to say and come tell me tomorrow." He told and started dragging his feet lazily to his room.

"Wait. I remembered."

He stopped and turned back to look at me.

"Can I raise a dog at this house? Is it allowed?"

"Huh?" His face showcased confusion.

"Was that so urgent to ask me at this hour?" He asked.

"Yeah, I want one very badly. If you say yes, I'll buy it tomorrow itself."

He waved his hand in front of my face as if signalling me to go. "Go for it. And you need not ask me permission before doing anything that doesn't affect me. Make sure you keep the dog and the house clean." He said.