The shocking news

Jay's POV:

As I drove my car down the lane, I saw Vikram uncle entering his house. I parked my car alongside the road, opposite to his house. I unlocked the seat belt, took the Sweet Box from the seat beside, and went to her house.

After Amaira left, I had a nagging feeling in my mind that it wasn't right to send her alone. Even if she hadn't called for me, it was my duty to accompany her. Since going empty handed didn't seem to be a good idea, I stopped by to buy a sweet box on the way.

The main door of the house was open and I was able to hear people talking inside. I didn't ring the doorbell as the door was open and stood at the door waiting for them to notice. There was some serious conversation going between Amaira and her father.

"I'm not having a good married life Mom. Jay doesn't love me and I don't love him either. So stop treating him like your son in law." Amaira yelled.

Her words rang again and again in my mind. Those words were still words, as my mind didn't process the meaning yet. Before it could cause an emotion inside me, Amaira's mom noticed my presence.

"Jay? When did you come, my son?" She asked me. Hearing her, both Amaira and he father spared me their attention.

I stood at the door unaware and anxious on how to react for the situation. Amaira dropped a bomb on her parents by coming clean about our marriage life. Her words were true and blunt but still my mind didn't want to acknowledge it as the truth.

Did we love each other?

No!

Did we have a good married life?

Uhm! No!!

But did we have a bad relationship so far?

Not exactly though! It wasn't bad either. Atleast for me. Perhaps did I get carried away momentarily and forgot the reality?

Amaira walked towards me and grabbed the sweet box from my hand.

"I'm sorry you had to do this Jay. But don't worry. You don't have to do this anymore. I told them the truth, so don't bother." Her eyes reflected guilt.

I felt like my lips were frozen. My brain wasn't working at all. How am I supposed to react in this situation? I simply looked at uncle, then at aunt and then at Amaira. I repeated staring nervously at them in a loop.

"Let's go home for now." Amaira declared. She grabbed her two wheeler key from the table and placed the sweet box I bought, on top of it. She walked out of the house and picked up her scooty. Not wanting to get caught alone, by her parents, I bowed and took leave immediately. When I came out of the house, Amaira was already at the end of the road.

Afraid they would ask me anything, I rushed to my car. I hurriedly started the engine and followed Amaira. I felt extremely bad for doing this. This was not even one percent appropriate in treating the elders. They would have been hurt but I'm running away rather than convincing them.

I had no confidence to speak anything contradictory to Amaira's words. What she told was true up until the current situation. The future is uncertain and I can't promise them we will be happy later. That is not something I can decide on my own. Amaira's consent is also the most important factor in deciding the future. I can't answer them for a question which I don't know the answer myself. So I decided to let them know later when everyone is sure of their wants and happiness.

I reached our home and Amaira's scooty was already parked there. I went inside and found her seated on the couch with her head in between her fingers.