14 - Making me nervous

It was quiet. It wasn't exactly an awkward silence, but you fidgeted in your seat with only the sounds of the truck. What were you to do? With being in the middle of the apocalypse, radio music was out of the question. You could have chatted, but what would you talk about? It was hard for you to make any conversation when one of the people you were avoiding talking to because of guilt—at least until you could be alone with both of your boys—were sitting in the seats behind you. Taehyung must have noticed the slightly uncomfortable air, opting to start a conversation between the five of you in the cabin.

"Do you think animals are trying to speak to us, but we just don't understand their language?"

"What are you on?"

Seokjin was bewildered by Taehyung's question. He stares at him in confusion before Hoseok bursts out into laughter beside you. You can feel the truck move slightly as Seokjin jumps in surprise at the booming noise coming from in front of him.

"Who knows, man," Hoseok answers Taehyung. "Maybe the birds that we hear in the morning are yelling, but we interpret it as singing and chirping."

It was your turn to stare at Hoseok with furrowed brows. Taehyung gasps.

"Woah. You make a good point."

"You guys are crazy," Seokjin shakes his head.

Namjoon clears his throat before inputting his own thoughts into the conversation.

"This is something my kids would have asked," he laughed. "They were always asking the weirdest questions."

"Where did that even come from, Tae?" You asked.

Taehyung shrugged his shoulders, his lips turned down. "Dunno. Just something that I thought of."

You shook your head, turning back to face the front. You heard the small window to the truck's bed open before Taehyung is asking the other boys as well. You chuckled to yourself. The thought that he had finally opened up to all of you during the past few months left a smile on your face.

The chit-chat continues. It was mostly Taehyung that would come up with something new to talk about, every once in a while Jungkook and Jimin piped up through the small opening behind his head. Seokjin would complain about the strange topics, only to retaliate with a few 'dad jokes' he knew. Eventually, the chatter turned into singing—and not the pretty kind. Everyone sang off-key to whatever song someone could think of. Yoongi, Jungkook, and Jimin were a little more cautious about how loud they were singing, as they still had to keep watch of their surroundings.

"Guys..."

Hoseok slowed down softly before he jerked the truck to a complete stop. The commotion continued, unaware of Hoseok's call for attention.

"Guys, shut up."

Nothing.

You turn in your seat. "Hey, stop it."

Your stern voice caught them mid-Frozen songs. They settled down, Taehyung twisting to get the other's attention. You sit back in your spot, looking out the window to see what Hoseok found.

In the distance, you saw tall dark walls, lined with something on the top—more than likely barbed wire. Reminiscent of when you found the walls of The Sanctuary. You rolled your window down, seeing if you could get a better view. The air felt different here. Almost clearer, less stingy. It was almost as if you walked into another room from a stuffy kitchen while making food.

"What is that?" Seokjin mumbled.

"Hoseok, get closer. Keep it slow."

Hoseok released the breaks. The truck crept forward, squealing slightly. You cringed at the sound, hoping that there wasn't anyone close enough to hear it. The squeal was loud enough to have probably attracted something, echoing in the empty air. Glancing in the side mirror, you saw Yoongi, weapon raised, pointed towards the front of the truck.

Dead By DawnOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara