Prologue - Like the beginning of a horror movie

The front door closes with a soft click as Hoseok trudges in, tired after a long shift at the hospital. After dropping off his stuff near the entrance to the kitchen, he greets you with a small 'hello' before plopping down on one of the dining room chairs. Hoseok sighs at the comfort it gives him, releasing the pressure off his feet.

"Long day?"

He looks up briefly before slowly closing his eyes. He nods in response, "Yeah. I swear there are more patients than there have been in the last couple of weeks."

Humming in understandment, you walk to the table, setting down your best friend's favorite dish. Hoseok's eyes open as he smells your cooking. He gives you a look of appreciation before digging in.

You both wait a couple of minutes, enjoying the meal, before engaging in conversation. Hoseok is the first one to speak again, asking you about your day. You tell him everything about the new book you're drawing for, and all of the new offers you've received. Including one by an author that you both are fairly fond of. You took a pause before switching the topic.

"So I went out to grab a few things from the store, right?" You pause as Hoseok nods, "As I was about to leave, I heard the weirdest conversation. I didn't hear all of it, but the ladies that were talking mentioned about some strange things happening to people. Something about making them always tired? I don't know. Whatever they were talking about, it didn't seem good."

"Maybe there's something going around? Like a flu? That would make sense with all of the people coming into the hospital." Hoseok shrugs, continuing to finish what was left of dinner. You don't say anything else, thinking about his words. Maybe it is just a sickness. Whatever it is, I don't wanna catch it, you thought.

After dinner, you and Hoseok sat down in the living room, continuing your binge of the newest show that caught your eyes. Times like these were when you were glad you moved out with your best friend. After spending endless days at each others' house in high school, you vowed to move together once you graduated. And now here you were, showing a wide range of emotions as you sat watching different scenes roll by.

You met Hoseok in second grade after he ran into you spilling the components of his strawberry juice box down your back during lunchtime. Of course, he apologized and offered you his sweatshirt once he realized what had happened. That was the day you created a strong bond between your 9 year-old-selves. Since then, your life has been full of adventure. Whether that be at home trying new recipes from around the world, or going out and finding new places to create new memories at.

***

The next few weeks pass by in almost a complete blur. You tend to stay at home, held up in your office working on illustrations for several children's' books as well as some side projects you've started. The only times you went out of the house was to get fresh air or to grab any necessities you and Hoseok needed.

Though it has been a little strange those few times you did step out of the comfort of your small suburban home. You've noticed that there are less people walking through the nearest grocery store. Even some of your neighbors don't step out of the house anymore. You don't think much of it, remembering what Hoseok said a few weeks ago. Whatever sickness is going around, your small town is being affected by it a lot.

"I heard that the bakery down the street got shut down 'cause there's not enough people to work there anymore." A hushed whisper around the corner of a building stops you in your tracks on your way back home from one of your walks around the neighborhood.

"Really? I've heard some strange things about some of the people around here. Something about people losing their minds? I've seen a lot of ambulances quietly driving by recently." You strain your ears to try to hear more of the conversation, but after a few seconds of waiting, you realize whoever was talking was gone. You head back home, fast enough to get there sooner than later, but not fast enough to make you seem suspicious to your prying neighbors.

Forcing your way through the front door, you find Hoseok home early from work. You rush to sit by his side on the couch.

"Hey-"

"Have you seen anything out of the ordinary at work?"

Hoseok gives you a puzzled look.

"What are you talking about? Are you okay? Did something happen?"

"Just," you pause to catch your breath. "Has anything seemed different in the last couple of weeks?"

"Not really. I mean, I'm only a licensed practical nurse so I don't deal too much with patients. Why?"

It takes you a minute to collect your thoughts before you mention the small conversation you overheard. Hoseok furrows his eyebrows in thought as he thinks back to the past couple of weeks at the hospital. Nothing really caught his attention in his memories until he strained to remember one small instance he had.

"Well, there was someone that I bumped into on my way out the doors. The lady looked like she was in a really bad situation. She was holding her neck screaming something I can't remember. I don't know what happened to her, but that was probably the weirdest thing that happened."

You sink into the couch cushions. Your mind was running a million miles a second. What is actually happening?

"You know," Hoseok speaks, breaking you away from your thoughts, "this kinda sounds like the beginning of a horror or apocalyptic movie." He laughs at his comment, turning back to the tv.

You shrug off any continuing thoughts, finding yourself becoming intrigued in what was happening in the show he was watching. Putting the discussion on the back-burner of your mind.